LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help

my car has been running bad here lately. it will skip or like hesitate at low rpm at part throttle but then all of the sudden it takes off like i hit nitrous. its a 94 trans am 373,full exhaust.pulleys,foil. i have new plugs and the wire look fine. New O2 sensor also just put them in two weeks ago. I have no check engine light on but i went and got my codes pullled anyway and code 11 and 63 pulled up. code 11 is malfunction indicator light, and code 63 right oxygen sensor bank1. could my o2 sensor already go bad this quick. please guys give me some feed back
Old 05-01-2007, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

come on guys i need some help
Old 05-01-2007, 07:53 PM

Maybe you have problems with your Oxygen Sensors? Because Oxygen sensors control the concentration of oxygen in your fuel emissions. They are installed to the engine’s exhaust manifold. Whether your air and gasoline mixture is rich or lean, it relays the information to your engine control unit (ECU) which adjusts the mixture to a more desirable consistency. This is to maintain fuel efficiency and lessen emission. When your engine spends lesser effort to emit fuel exhausts, it minimizes power consumption, thus increasing horsepower for other applications.

You may check out this link GMC Oxygen Sensors for more help...
Old 05-01-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

How long have you had new o2's? Use a real scanner and see what the right o2 is doing voltage-wise. Assuming you just replaced them, maybe you just have a bad connection or the wire burnt up.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:07 PM
11 Second Club

i had in there 2 weeks but i got long tube headers and i had to extend the wires maybe i didnt get a wire connected good want side is the right side code 63 is that driver or pass
Old 05-01-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh, bad wiring is most likely the problem. Two weeks is too early for them to foul out.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TravisMcGill2000
i had in there 2 weeks but i got long tube headers and i had to extend the wires maybe i didnt get a wire connected good want side is the right side code 63 is that driver or pass
How did you extend the wires? What long tube headers did you install?

From experience -- the O2 sensor extensions that Pacesetter sends with their headers are far from acceptable. Butt-crimp connectors and tiny gauge wire is not really going to cut it as far as giving the PCM reliable consistant readings for running in closed loop.

First of all -- check to make sure the extensions aren't burned, that'd be my first guess.

Second -- look into purchasing some Casper Electronics 12" O2 sensor extensions (you can find them on Summit, they're the flat universal connectors). They're plug and play, it'll give you a quality weaterproof connection from your O2 sensor to the wiring harness (and PCM).

Third -- What brand are the O2 sensors? Historically (and from personal experience) if you have Bosch O2s from your local DAP, they're probably the culprit as well. They actually don't send readings fast enough to the PCM and affect how the car runs in closed loop (every day driving once the car is warm, and not at WOT). Look into getting some regular 'ole AC Delco OE Replacement O2s. They're tried and true, and people have had the best success with those. Another alternative (which I'm currently running and haven't had problems with) is the NGK/NTK O2 sensors. I got them when I fouled mine running race gas and haven't had issues yet. They're more resistant to lead/additive exposures and can last longer than a normal OE Replacement O2 sensor. I've been running them in my car for almost a year without a problem -- and I've had plenty of racegas through it as well.

Is the issue with the miss/hesitation only when the car is warm? Does it every skip/hiccup at WOT? What about when the car has been sitting and it is cold, does it idle rougher than usual?

Those are some other things to look into as well. Keep us updated and we'll do our best to help you out
Old 05-01-2007, 11:12 PM
11 Second Club

it does not do it at wot or when it cold only when it starts to warm up, and yes i got pacesseter and yes i got the bosch, it hesitates when u give it gas then all of the sudden its takes off and i didnt mash the throttle
Old 05-01-2007, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TravisMcGill2000
it does not do it at wot or when it cold only when it starts to warm up, and yes i got pacesseter and yes i got the bosch, it hesitates when u give it gas then all of the sudden its takes off and i didnt mash the throttle
I hate to break it to you, but those are probably both of your problems. Get some casper O2 extensions from Summit and some Delco or NGK/NTK O2s and you'll be gravy.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

thanks

Quick Reply: need help