Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible LS1 into 69 C10 swap in my future HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible LS1 into 69 C10 swap in my future HELP!!!

Okay so I've got a 69 C10 pickup. Right now its got a 305 and a powerglide in it. My buddy has a LS1 out of a 98 corvette and a spare set of 01 heads...all in pieces. He offered me a good deal on it, but I don't know squat about this swap. Big problem is the LS1 has no wiring harness or ecu, and no accessories except for the water pump. I'm on a tight budget too.

I need to know what I'll need to complete this swap. Can I use any of the accessory brackets off my old 305? If not, what brackets do I need to get to mount everything up? The cheaper the better. I've found conversion motor mounts and a flexplate-flywheel adaptor for powerglides online. I've also looked into the edelbrock carb conversion kit. That should save me on wiring and replumbing the fuel system. The other major problem is the accessories and mounting. My truck is a factory A/C model with powersteering. I suppose I can forget the A/C for now if necessary. I could also sell the LS intake and injectors to recoupe some of my money.

My buddy is offering me this engine for less than what it would cost to rebuild the 305. I just need to know if this even feasible or if I should just go hunting for your run of the mill 350. Budget means everything for this to happen.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Definatly go for it. It will not be as cheap as rebuilding an old school unless the motor is free. But it will be well worth the effort. Also don't for get that the vortec truck accessorys will work too. There doesn't seem to really be many brackets so you might could piece something together fairly easly. I haven't ran mine yet so i can't report on how they drive.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:16 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Honestly from what you have said I would recommend re-building the 305. It seems that you are on a tight budget and a tight budget does not mix very well with an LS1 swap. I have not heard of too many people doing a swap cheaper than mine, and I spent just over $2600 by the time it was done. I paid $1000 for the engine, trans, wiring, accys, PCM, etc. I stayed with EFI because that was what I wanted and since I had everything it was cheaper than going to a carb. Swapping a carb on is going to cost a bit, I believe the carb manifold and spark controller is $600-700.

None of the brackets or accys from the 305 will work, (unless you make custom brackets to hold the 305 accys.) You should be able to use use the brackets from any of the LSx series motors (vette, f-body, new truck) of course the new truck brackets/ accys will be the cheapest and easiest to find used. None of the A/C brackets will clear the frame, all the factory LSx brackets mount the A/C compressor on the lower passenger side. So you would either have to live without A/C, cut and box the frame fro clearance, or build a bracket to mount a compressor higher.

The LSx engines are great swap candidates, but not if you are on a tight budget. The normal budget factor that gets thrown around here is to add up everything you think you will need and then double that price. For the most part that crude formula seems pretty accurate. I had thought that it would only cost me $2000 total, but by the time I added it all up it was just over $2600.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The compressor actually will clear the frame with Camaro accessories (mine does) but it does leave you with a hell of a time trying to route the A/C lines around. Whenever I decide to tackle that last bit, I'm going to look into mounting a compressor high on the passenger side in the "stock" location.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by IOwnCalculus
The compressor actually will clear the frame with Camaro accessories (mine does) but it does leave you with a hell of a time trying to route the A/C lines around. Whenever I decide to tackle that last bit, I'm going to look into mounting a compressor high on the passenger side in the "stock" location.
Good to know, I didn`t realize that. What about using the truck compressor? On the truck compressor the lines exit out the top/passenger side Theres a pic in this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-maintenance-repairs/704737-c-compressor-sensor.html
Changing to the truck compressor would require you to swap the clutch pulleys, but I believe everything else would fit.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 6.0L I had in my 1967 C10, the a/c compressor cleared the frame. Some modificaiton to the bracket was all that was needed to clear the trans dapt swap motor mounts. A small V notch needs cut in frame to clear the a/c lines depending on which compressor you go with. I think I had one from a 2003 Tahoe or something.

I also helped a local guy with a 5.3 in a 69 pickup. Again, modifcation to the stock bracket and it cleared great.

I've made two sets of hedders that work in the C10's. I could not get any factor manifold (even corvette) to clear the motor mount pads on the 67-72.

I used 1979-1993 Fox body Mustang shortie headers, cut the flanges off, and welded them up to LSx flanges. The port spacing is identical. All that needs done is heat up the tubes and make them round for the new flanges.

I have some pics on my website, www.lt1swap.com Click on VORTEC 6.0L at the top or scroll down to another link to my swap page.

Ohh yeah, I did the entire 6.0L swap for around $1600 including the engine. I had to put the engine back together. It had been disassembled by a dealership.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Well I don't have much of a parts list so far. But here's what I've found so far.

LS1 - $800
Gen III motor mount conversion - $295 earlyclassic.com
LS1-powerglide Flywheel-Flexplate adaptor - $? racingwithjw.com
Edelbrock Performer RPM carb conversion - $699 summit
carb - I can work that out with a friend.....and I just sold an edelbrock 750 2 weeks ago.
Misc. - $God only knows, junkyard hoppin
Labor - $sweat and blood

If you guys know some places I can get better deals, please give me a heads up.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

motor mounts can be got much cheaper. Transdapt makes them, Part# 4572
$43.69. These bolt to GenIII block and allow you're stock truck mounts to bolt up. these are the ones i used.

Other kits probably compensate for the genIII motor being 1 inch shorter then traditional small blocks. this maybe why AC clears with these mounts. you have to move transmisison 1 inch forward.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Phoenix_400
Well I don't have much of a parts list so far. But here's what I've found so far.

LS1 - $800
Gen III motor mount conversion - $295 earlyclassic.com
LS1-powerglide Flywheel-Flexplate adaptor - $? racingwithjw.com
Edelbrock Performer RPM carb conversion - $699 summit
carb - I can work that out with a friend.....and I just sold an edelbrock 750 2 weeks ago.
Misc. - $God only knows, junkyard hoppin
Labor - $sweat and blood

If you guys know some places I can get better deals, please give me a heads up.
For mounts you can check out the FAQ sticky if you are interested in making your own, there are some drawings in there. You should also add in for coils if you don`t have them, accys, fuel and radiator hoses, fuel pump, air intake, exhaust manifolds/headers,.......etc......etc. It is really all the $10-$20 trips to the parts store that add up, there are so many little things that you end up needing.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G-Body
Good to know, I didn`t realize that. What about using the truck compressor? On the truck compressor the lines exit out the top/passenger side Theres a pic in this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704737
Changing to the truck compressor would require you to swap the clutch pulleys, but I believe everything else would fit.
Hmm, that is another option. Really, I need to get under there and see what options I have for running lines...the ports at the back aren't obstructed but I need to see where I can actually route the lines without hitting the exhaust...maybe straight down off the back of the compressor, and under the framerail?

With a home purchase on the way, though, this obviously takes a very low priority in terms of both my wallet and my time...the 2/80 system works even better with the LS1
Old 05-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the heads up on the TransDapt motor mounts. That'll definitly save some cash. I'm not even gonna worry about the AC for right now. I was planning on upgrading to a vintage air system somewhere down the line anyway. I can just save up and get the S&P brackets when the time comes for that.

Can you guys recommend a good cam for the LS1. I'm looking for the broadest powerband I can get. Its a 98 corvette LS1 with 01 heads. I'll be using the Edelbrock RPM manifold instead of the Victor to save some lowend torque. Probably going with a 3000 stall on the powerglide and a 3.73 posi rear. I don't want to swap the glide since its kind of an oddball option for this year truck. But I'm going to be fighting that high 1st gear ratio. Hoping to make my way into the high 13's eventually. Figured I could swap the cam since the motor is already apart.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you mentioned you want to go carb, but for what you will pay for the MSD/Edelobrock set up and carb you can get a harness and ECU. The fuel injections is darn nice. Once set up it is totally trouble free and you will have great drivabilty and decent fuel mileage. Don't be afraid of it, it's not that difficult and the benefits are many.

juat something to think about, good luck with your project

Pat
Old 05-05-2007, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I've thought about the fuel injection. But I've been messin with imports for a while and I just want to go back to something simple. I just don't want to deal with anymore computer tuning and making sure the umpteen-dozen sensors are good. I've got a 240sx for that. Plus ya gotta think about replumbing the fuel system. Heck, if this engine hadn't come up at such a good price I wouldn't even bother with it. I was originally plannin on using a 408 stroker motor from racingjunk. I kind of want this like my ol' TA, the most advanced piece of technology in that car was the radio.....Course I am considering a gearvendors for the glide down the line.....Would I win the most unique drivetrain award with that setup?

carbed LS1-powerglide-gearvendors

Last edited by Phoenix_400; 05-05-2007 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Check out Iowncalculus's sig. Your right about need'n a wide power band with that glide. Then again ls1's are known for that.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Please check out my thread - 68 C10 swap. 11 pages of info. Link is in my signature.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Well, interesting research day. I've heard a couple of people mention how the LS1 mounted an inch forward with certain motormounts. So I decided to call the 2 places I was considering motormounts from. ECE asked me what tranny I would be using. When I told them I would be using the factory powerglide, the guy stopped for a second and said " I don't know if we've had anyone try that...I honestly can't answer your question." .....So I guess I'm going into uncharted territory with this.....Anyway, I then called TransDapt. Apparently they have a new motor mount kit that just came out this year. I believe the part # is 4595. It moves the LS1 back an inch. Reckon I'll be trying that one.

The Flywheel I'll be using to mate the LS1 to the powerglide will be from racewithjw.com. part #80014.

This is where I'm gonna need the help guys. I'm working with just a longblock assembly right now. I need to find out which accessories and oilpan(camaro, vette, truck)will give the best fitment in the truck. Also any suggestions for headers that fit would be great. My buddy owns a shop and can fab something up if there's no other choice. But I'd prefer to go aftermarket if possible just for the sake of less hassle.

Thanks for everything so far guys. Great information. Shifty and the rest of you guys, I've been checkin out your threads. Very thorough. I am much impressed. I've got the time to sort this out. Have to wait for my Dodge Ram to sell and then I'll be overhaulin my brakes and suspension to make sure the ol' rust bucket is ready for this.......Gas prices WOULD spike just as I'm tryin to get rid of a 4x4.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Very curious to see how those other mounts work out for you. What is the cost on those mounts? Any drilling or welding req'd?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:11 AM
Teching In

According to TransDapt, its just like the mounts that some of the other guys on here have used. More like adaptor plates that utilize the existing small block mounts already in the truck. Did a search on summit's website and they came up at $55.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

nice...I guess it would help to have the SBC mounts first though

i'm sure i could find out pretty easily, but at this point, not sure the diff'ce between the L6, SBC and BBC mounts.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:03 AM
Teching In

haha, yeah I guess that would help. I'm lucky, my truck came with a 307 and its got a 305 in it right now.

Quick Reply: Possible LS1 into 69 C10 swap in my future HELP!!!