Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Buying a Camaro, have some questions

Old 05-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Camaro, have some questions

Hi everybody, ive been looking for a z28 for about a month now and I have so questions about buying the car, and buying a car in general

Im looking to spend about 8,500 since I dont want to be tied down with payments for all that long. Can I expect to get a decent ls1 98-00 possibly? I do see some ls1s listed for that price but they all have around 90k+ miles.

For the amount of money im looking to spend, what is the general mileage I should expect to be on the car. I have seen a few varying deals.

Were are good places to look for a z28? I have been looking at ls1tech sales, ebay, Autotrader, and cars.com. Are there any other sites?

Lastly, If i buy the car from a dealer how does payment work? Would I call them up and let them know im interested in buying the car and tell them to hold it until I have the loan figured out?

Thanks for the help,
Alex
Old 05-02-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

bought my 99 with 72k on it for $8500. car came with 4.10s, a spec clutch new in box, and original wheels thrown in (sold with vette wheels on it)

So its definitely possibly
Old 05-02-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't have much trouble finding an LS1 Z28 in your range, especially if you want an auto. Just be patient and keep looking at the sites you mentioned. 90k miles isn't that much, a 98 is going on 10 years old now.....

As for buying a car, it sounds like you have very little experience. I would strongly recommend you talk to a friend or relative or meet some local Camaro guys to help you out. Dealers love to take advantage of you. I have my financing taken care of before....if I finance, I get pre approved through my bank because I have never found a dealer that will beat their rates. Most dealer's can finance you, but be aware of interest rates and terms.

Say a dealer has a 98 Z28 90K miles listed for 9500. I would go drive the car, check it out and decide if I like it. If I wanted to buy it, I would sit down and talk price. If he is asking 9500 and I know its worth 8000, I will offer 6500. Go back and forth until you agree on a price. Then the dealer wants to get you his financing, thats fine if he can get you a better rate, but if your bank alread pre-approved you, then they should tell you your credit score (if not, just ask). I will tell the dealer what my score is and have him tell me the best rate he could get me. If he beats it, only then will I let him run my credit. Otherwise, you just buy it, give them your banks info and they exchange funds.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Im talking to a lady right now about a deal for 70k miles for 7,500. Car is black and looks pretty clean. This brings me to another question. Im in Connecticut and she is in PA. Do people normally have these cars checked out by trusted mechanics or do they go by what they see since driving the car from PA to CT just to get checked out seems a bit unreasonable.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Teching In

SilverSierra, thanks for the detailed response.

Unfortuantly I have no credit. I am 18 and will have my mom co-sign. I work 2 jobs and go to school, so I can more than afford the payments but I still wasnt able to take a loan out in my name. Will that limit me further? One of my friends is a bank teller and he is helping me out with some of this information, I just want to make sure I understand it all. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

i recommend applying online for a loan first. once you are approved they will give you terms of the loan, like for mine if had to be 99 or newer, under 60000 miles, it had to be a franchise dealership, and my loan amount was for $30,000. That means that i could get a loan for any amount up to $30,000.

After i got that info, i went to chevy.com and searched the used inventory for every dealership within 150 mile radius of me. when i saw they had an f-body, i called to verify it was there, then test drove it.

I then learned that sometimes you can call the loan company and ask if they will aprove you for a car on ebay or you can call about a specific used car lot if its not a franchise lot. sometimes they will approve it.

as far as having it checked out, try to find someone who knows f-bodys and have them come with you. you need to listen for knocking or an unhealthy motor. also look for leaks, and look under the car for major scrapes and bent pieces. Checking tire wear can show you if theres any suspension problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a Camaro, have some questions