Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni's and Revalves only way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Koni's and Revalves only way to go?

Is it me or are the only shocks accepted by the f-body community only koni or the revalves that Strano provides?
Old 05-02-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

It's all about context. In this section, most people care more about good handling and ride comfort than their 60' times. For that reason, Koni SA's and re-valved Bilstein HD's are the most popular, because they're proven to work well in these scenarios. Others will suggest Hal QA1's for more drag race-oriented cars.

Like I've said before, it's all a matter of "good enough". Maybe you spend $150 on a set of KYB shocks and they work well for your needs. Great! Having never owned Koni SA's (as an example), you don't know what the difference is, but you have no need to find out. In this case, your choice was "good enough". However, maybe you're unhappy with the KYB's and you come in here looking for something better. Now you're out the $150 you spent on the KYB's and the money for better shocks. Had you paid closer attention to the advise given, you would have saved yourself $150 and the time invested.

That's what happened to me.

While there are some "parrots" in this section who continually suggest the same thing over and over, even though they might not know why, there are several people here who have a lot of personal experience. You can usually tell who they are if you do a little searching (when search works). These are generally the people I look for when a thread opens.

-Mike
Old 05-02-2007, 02:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

No, those aren't the only shocks that are "accepted", but as was mentioned it's about context, and few shocks work as well as they should. And they are integrated parts of the suspension, so the rest of the suspension needs to be taken into account along with the type of driving you do, and what you want to gain from the dampers.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Launching!

I understand, it just seems like the market for other after market parts is so diverse. we have multiple longtube manufacturers, turbocharger/sc kit producers and we are even to the point where we have multiple intake manifold producers. That being said they all perform very similar to each other. In the case of shocks it seems like we only have 2 to choose from regardless of lowering springs or not. My point being is that it seems people tend to jump on the bandwagon and may not try other parts. Now in chupr0kabra's and Sam's case we have two people who have tested a # of different shocks. But the Koni's are always " The End of Discussion". I noticed this when I was reading a load of threads here and its the answer to everything.

wow i've rambled and got off topic...point being is i dont understand why we are only limited to these 2 when other parts have various different "solutions"
Old 05-02-2007, 03:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

There are some cars that are just great, some are mediocre, some suck. But cars are cars. There are very few that are great, lots that are ok, and bunch that kind of suck (even within a certain price range).

Shocks are not something most folks understand. Most don't realize how bad the stock ones are. Nobody is saying that those are the only two shocks you can run regardless of lowering springs or not. But the fact is shocks are valved for various things. Some for stock springs, some for lowering springs, some for handling, some for ride. Some for "handling" that just don't work as well as they could or should. When you consider things like that you realize that the vast number of shocks out there aren't all geared for the same things.

There are good cams and bad, some are torquey some aren't. Good tires and bad--tires good for drag racing aren't good for handling. And on and it on it goes. Brakes, exhausts, clutches, gears......

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Addict

There isn't a lot of competition in this segment, so yeah basically if you want the best ride and handling you are going with Konis.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Most of the guys who post in this forum are using lowering springs and the consensus is that only the Koni's or revalves really do the job for those.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:59 AM
Launching!

well i appreciate your input. this seems like an easy forum for answers in that case.

ex. what shocks should i use for x lowering spring...koni or revalve! must be nice to have all the answers

damn shame we don't have more reliable options though in shock choice. Sam get out there and develop an adjustable shock to match your springs damnit!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your keeping stock springs the Blisteins HD can be a very good choice.

I mean with stock springs you can go Monroe etc etc. All them was designed as OEM replacments of the decarbons. But you change springs, well that goes out the door its not stock no more.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by nebur8
well i appreciate your input. this seems like an easy forum for answers in that case.

ex. what shocks should i use for x lowering spring...koni or revalve! must be nice to have all the answers

damn shame we don't have more reliable options though in shock choice. Sam get out there and develop an adjustable shock to match your springs damnit!
Shocks are not something that are easily built, and I only really get into having things made when what's around doesn't suit the needs as well as I'd like. Koni's already do and they are very reliable. I just sold a 12 year used pair of fronts I had, they worked great.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a LOT of options out there. Sam is a sponsor here, so discussion is limited, and rightfully so.

Most folks here place a higher importance on how they look when they see themselves in a glass storefront. Performance is WAY down on the list of priorities.

But, keeping it in context, Konis and Bilstien HDs, or derivatives thereof, are about it for a bling car. And bling cars make up the bulk of the demographic here.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Huh?

Wait, I know what this is. This is Mitch's passive aggressive way of telling you other shocks exist (and I already did). However when you get into shocks like Penske's and the like they are only as good as the valving in them, which is determined by the customer. And I've taken more a few Penske's off cars and made them faster and easier to drive. And I constantly beat cars with mega-dollar shocks all the time with my "lowly" Koni's. I'm not about bling, I'm about winning--and I do over cars that have trick shocks, and cars that beat up on folks who build trick shocks.

I can have Penske's built. I've looked into it. I've sold Motons for Vipers and BMW's. Fact is I don't feel any of that is necessary even for me, let alone anyone here who isn't a die-hard racer.

Last year @ Nationals I won by 1.189 seconds, which is a lot in my sport. The car in second was on Koni's. The cars in 3-6 (and postions 2, 4 and 5 are also multi-time SCCA National Champions) were all on Penske's, the car in 7th is a clone of my car, but it's an LT1 and had a single driver on 52 degress days, so the lack of tire heat hurt.... yet it he still gave the 2 driver cars on mega-shocks a run.

For someone who jumped from HD's to Penske's directly you sure are good at putting down what you don't know. I on the other hand have used all the above (and more).

Last edited by Sam Strano; 05-03-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:00 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I wish to add something. I apologize. Mitch as a way of getting under my skin and it gets to me. Instead of explaining what he means it's easier for him to say something is bling and bling is bad.

Nothing I said above is untrue, so I'm not deleting it. If he want's to discuss the merits of dampers and why X is so much better than Y, ok. And I will tell anyone the info they seek on the phone.

And one more thing I completely forgot about. The top Z06 in SuperStock @ Nationals last year was on Penske's. Penske's I speced the valving is, and that valving came from the Koni's curves I have for that car and worked so well. And this same car has had Penske's on it valved by various folks since '02. I have a note from the owner thanking me for my help in getting the car to work. Am I genius? No, I was smart enough to not think I am and used what I know works.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez Sam ... what did I say that was untrue? But, apology accepted ... I know you've been under a lot stress with family. Hope things are going well. I'm willing to chalk up your outburst to that.

Fact: There are a lot of viable shocks out there, but not part of the LS1tech vendor pool and/or not for the faint of wallet.

Fact: The demographic here is more concerned with appearances than performance. Is bling not appearance oriented?

The original poster asked a very simple question about shock options. I responded my experiences without being locked or banned because I mentioned a vendor or supplier not listed at the right.

And FWIW a Bilstein HD/2.5" Eibach spring shod CMC car turned 3rd quickest lap time at the CMC TWS race this past weekend. He is kinda where I was when I "hit the wall" looking for 1/10s of a second on track. Shocks were a big factor in that quest.

From my POV, a CMC race car closely resembles a street car's set up with ride height and suspension limitations. Only T2 and ESP would be closer.