Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Steering wheel cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel cover

I hate steering wheel covers, I always have. I think they look tacky... but for the sake of saving my steering wheel I decided to go ahead and get the best looking one I could find.

...However now I'm pissed. Anyone who has ever installed 1 of those threaded steering wheel covers knows why. They are a complete pain in the *** to put on... beyond that though, mine decided to rip 3/4 through the installation. This is a "WheelSkin" cover so be warned if you plan on ever purchasing 1. Also if anyone has any suggestions for a better steering wheel cover I'm all ears, or if anyone has ever gotten there steering wheel redone how much did it cost? Mine isn't worn out but it gets dirty easy and I just don't think it will last very long.

Look! It almost looks like an acceptable steering wheel cover:

But no! It's just a worthless piece of leather instead:
Old 05-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Banned

check out www.afterthoughtsauto.com. they are a pretty popular sponsor on here for that kind of stuff. they have other cool stuff as well
Old 05-02-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

the heat gun is your friend. you needed to heat it up to get the leather to stretch instead of rip.

it looks like you did a pretty good job until it ripped. i would suggest getting a new one, then find a good upholstery shop and have them install it. it should be fairly cheap and it will look 10x better then you could ever do (no offense).
Old 05-02-2007, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fast01z28
the heat gun is your friend. you needed to heat it up to get the leather to stretch instead of rip.

it looks like you did a pretty good job until it ripped. i would suggest getting a new one, then find a good upholstery shop and have them install it. it should be fairly cheap and it will look 10x better then you could ever do (no offense).

You think an upholstery shop could just put their own leather on there rather then installing a cover with prepunched holes? I was pretty happy with the cover until it ripped but the thread they give is an off color that really doesn't match and I don't think using the existing holes it could be made to look much better.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

I just called my local upholstry shop. They said that they won't recover a leather steering wheel and don't know anyone that does. They said I'd be better off to buy a new wheel.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a WheelSkins cover and it went on fine. Yours was looking pretty good until it tore, though. I'd ask for a refund or discount and try again with the WheelSkins cover - they're pretty sturdy and look good.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:50 PM
Banned

hey Jeresous, where do you work? EOD? MCAS Miramar?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cookba
hey Jeresous, where do you work? EOD? MCAS Miramar?
Nah I'm not EOD. I'm a civilian contractor (aka a UXO Tech 1). Most of the guys I work with are former EOD but I went to a private civilian school for my certification. I live in San Diego in my off time but I work wherever they need me... just finished up at Vandenberg AFB, did some work at NAS El Centro and Ft Jackson South Carolina this year also. I've also done work at Ft Hood, Ft Irwin, and Sierra Army Depot. Most of the work takes place on FUDS though. Are you EOD or stationed at Miramar?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Veteran

I have a chevrolet racing steering wheel cover from autozone works fine no problems.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2_wacko
I have a chevrolet racing steering wheel cover from autozone works fine no problems.
Are those the ones that don't thread but fit on really tight? I had 1 like that once and after 5 minutes of driving I ripped it off because it seemed like it made my steering wheel to bulky and I was having a hard time getting use to it it would have probably been just fine but I was feeling impatient.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by 2_wacko
Cheeze!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeresous
Are those the ones that don't thread but fit on really tight? I had 1 like that once and after 5 minutes of driving I ripped it off because it seemed like it made my steering wheel to bulky and I was having a hard time getting use to it it would have probably been just fine but I was feeling impatient.
Yup thats the one.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeresous
Nah I'm not EOD. I'm a civilian contractor (aka a UXO Tech 1). Most of the guys I work with are former EOD but I went to a private civilian school for my certification. I live in San Diego in my off time but I work wherever they need me... just finished up at Vandenberg AFB, did some work at NAS El Centro and Ft Jackson South Carolina this year also. I've also done work at Ft Hood, Ft Irwin, and Sierra Army Depot. Most of the work takes place on FUDS though. Are you EOD or stationed at Miramar?
I saw your avatar and that you were in San Diego so i assumed EOD at Miramar. But no, im not EOD although i do know the guys here for EOD. And yes im at Miramar, have been for 3 years but am finally leaving for a deployment in June!!
Old 05-04-2007, 03:20 AM
TECH Addict

Or you could just send your steering wheel off to American Stitches and have the original leather removed and new leather installed professionally. They have many colors, types of leather and can do two-tone. They can also add padding to the wheel to make it thicker if wanted.

I've seen their work and it is top-notch. Be preapared to pay upwards of $200+ for the job though...
Old 05-04-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
Or you could just send your steering wheel off to American Stitches and have the original leather removed and new leather installed. I've seen their work and it is top-notch. Be preapared to pay upwards of $200+ for the job though...
True dat. They did an awesome job on my trucks 2/tone...... And it's more like $275+

Quick Reply: Steering wheel cover