Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wiring nightmare!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring nightmare!!

Ok so my stereo is a huge problem and today I have my security lights come on.Now Im sure its the vats, Im trying to get rid of it for good and Im terrible when it comes to reading diagrams.

http://shbox.com/1/vats_bypass.jpg

On the very last picture it says "or attach to terminals in an unplugged connector". Does that mean I can cut the wires and hook them together?

Any help is appreciated, thanks alot!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

No, first of all it means you don't have to cut the wires - just unplug the connector. Never cut factory wires if there is another way to get the job done (so you can put it back later if necessary).

Second, you can't just connect the wires together. If it was that easy, everyone would be hotwiring cars. You have to measure the resistance of the pellet in your ignition key and then use a resistor of the same value to connect the two wires. Depending on which value you measure (there were 15 different ones used by GM), you may have to use a combination of more than one resistor to get the correct total value.

Of course, you could just try cleaning the pellet contacts on your key and in the ignition cylinder to make the problem go away. Use rubbing alcohol and a pencil eraser on the key contacts and spray some contact cleaner (Radio Shack) into the ignition cylinder.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, first of all it means you don't have to cut the wires - just unplug the connector. Never cut factory wires if there is another way to get the job done (so you can put it back later if necessary).

Second, you can't just connect the wires together. If it was that easy, everyone would be hotwiring cars. You have to measure the resistance of the pellet in your ignition key and then use a resistor of the same value to connect the two wires. Depending on which value you measure (there were 15 different ones used by GM), you may have to use a combination of more than one resistor to get the correct total value.

Of course, you could just try cleaning the pellet contacts on your key and in the ignition cylinder to make the problem go away. Use rubbing alcohol and a pencil eraser on the key contacts and spray some contact cleaner (Radio Shack) into the ignition cylinder.
So instead of splicing or anything, I can just unplug a connector and be done with it?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Pntbll309
So instead of splicing or anything, I can just unplug a connector and be done with it?
Uh...no. Let me try again.

The Vehicle Anti Theft System (VATS) works by having the Body Control Module (BCM) match the resistance value of the key used to start the car with the value it has programmed into it. If the values match, the car is allowed to start. If the values don't match then it assumes the wrong key is being used (or the car is being hotwired) and it prevents starting.

If you just unplug the VATS connector in the wiring harness under the steering column, you will have infinite resistance (open circuit) which will not match the programmed value in the BCM so the car won't start.

If you merely connect the two wires together then you will have zero resistance (short circuit) which will not match the programmed value in the BCM so the car won't start.

You have to know the resistance required (by measuring the key) and make sure that you provide exactly that amount of resistance between the two wires. Unplug the connector under the column and then install the correct resistor(s) connecting the two wires together so that the total resistance matches what the BCM expects.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Gotcha now, I hate electronics and my car is just full of bugs right now.Im gonna try and tackle it tonight to see if I can get anything going.

Thanks again.