Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How long does this take?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How long does this take?

I did the drill mod and bench bled the master while the transmission and clutch were out, but the master sat for a couple weeks before I got the trans back in. Replaced the slave, got the trans and clutch back in. So far I have at least 75 minutes of bleed time into the car. The first 30% of pedal travel is real soft, the rest feels solid. I had to stop last night because I ran out of brake fluid. I have been using both bleeding methods, pump clutch and open bleeder as well as open bleeder and push clutch. Both methods seem to move the same amount of fluid; after three cracks of the bleeder, I have to refill the reservoir. I should expect the clutch to feel solid during the entire swing right?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you got the master bled all the way it should go fairly quickly. Have you tried running the engine a little to see if the pedal firms up at all? Bleeding and then letting it sit for a bit to allow the air to collect? Tried disconnecting the master from the slave and pushed the pedal (shouldn't move) to see if you got all the air out of the master?
Old 05-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did mine the same thing happened, I could not seem to get it bled. I removed the master cylinder again and redid the bench bleed, reinstalled it and it did not even need bleeding after that.

I think air gets stuck that will not come out unless you turn the master upside down to let the air rise to the top and out the line. Make sure the line in 100% full. I used a syringe to fill mine through the end that connects to the slave. You need to hold the spring valve out of the way when you do this. Tap it a few times to josle the air out and fill again. Do this a few times to make sure all the air is out. Make sure when reinstall the filled resevoir stays above the master cylinder so air cannot work its way back to the master. Its kind of a pain but it worked for me.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bench bled mine, I thought I had gotten all the air out. When I came back in the morning, I had found that a LOT of air had moved into the resevoir. So I filled it up and started tipping and moving and pushing on the master cylinder. Soon enough, I managed to get some air bubbles to come up. After about 20 mins of doing this I think I got all of the air out. I left it to sit a few hours kinda dangling in a way to let air up the tube. No change. Put it into the car and it worked from the get go. I still bled it in the car to be sure.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You'll know you've got all the air out bench bleeding when you can no longer depress the piston in, and you don't see bubbles rising in the reservoir. It's just a matter of working the master in various positions like Slade said. I returned 2 aftermarket master cylinders and wasted a lot of time not bench bleeding, and not installing it with the reservoir full and connected.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

I spent another 15 minutes on it last night. Pedal is firm for the entire length of travel now, hopefully that will be the end of it
Old 05-04-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

any way to get the air out without taking the master back out?