Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! No oil pressure!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! No oil pressure!

I have a 2001 Camaro SS with 48k miles and no oil pressure. Is it common for the oil pump in these cars to fail so soon (first Chevrolet I've ever owned)? I pulled the connector off the oil pressure sending unit, the pressure gauge in the cars pegs at max oil pressure. I changed the sending unit (pain in the a**) and re-connected it, but the car still shows zero pressure when running. Any ideas?
Old 05-03-2007, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have no oil pressure the engine will make one hell of a racket.

Interesting that you get an indication (full scale) when you pull the connector to the sender.

On mine it doesn't indicate if you pull the connector.

You sure the replacement unit is good?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:03 PM

There's no excessive noise when it's running, but I haven't let it run for more than 30 seconds at a time while I've been trouble shooting. I'm going to change the oil and filter next to see if that has any effect. Is there an external port somewhere that I can connect a mechanical gauge to?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have no pressure, it will make the racket right off.

You can probably get an adapter that will screw into the sensor hole.

Are you sure the replacement sensor is good?
Old 05-03-2007, 03:13 PM

I bought it from an O'reilly's auto parts store new, but I suppose there's a chance it was bad. I'll go buy one from chevy before I decide to tear the motor apart and replace the oil pump. Is there a way to test the sending unit other than buy another one, or test the factory gauge to make sure it's reading correctly?
Old 05-03-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

Oh that sucks. But it's very interesting. I'm subscribing. Make sure to update us. Best of luck to you.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:58 PM

Update: Just changed the oil and oil filter (hoping for clogged filter), still no pressure. No chunks of metal in the oil that I drained, no shavings on the drain plug. I started the car and had about three seconds of "clatter", then it was back to purring like a kitten. No unusual noises whatsoever. I'm about to change the oil pressure sending unit for the second time. I bought one from GM this time- $70, ouch. After that???????
Old 05-03-2007, 08:19 PM

So the score so far is Camaro 3, Matt 0. Second sending unit didn't help. Still have no oil pressure and no unusual sounds from the engine. ??????????? Am I the only guy on the planet that got an oil pump assembled on a Monday by a guy that was about to quit?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

If you had no oil pressure it probably wouldn't purr like a kitten. does the oil pressure light come on the dash? Or does just the gauge show no pressure?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a mechanical gauge installed.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you changing the right sensor?

The pressure sensor is located on the top behind the intake manifold.

The feed to the hole could be plugged also.

You can check that real quick by taking the sensor out and turning it over (probably not a good idea to run it though).

Oil should spurt out cuz you got pressure.

Just asking.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:59 PM

I'm definitely changing the right sensor, and it's a b%@#& to get to. I thought about turning the motor over a couple of times without the sensor installed, but I haven't had anyone to crank the car while I used the inspection mirror to check for oil spray. There are no low oil pressure lights on while it's running. The gauge just sits at zero. Can a mechanical gauge be installed anywhere other than where the sending unit mounts?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, you use the same hole but you might need an adapter.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:46 PM

Well boys, I'm calling it: Official time of oil pump death 7pm eastern. I pulled the sending unit off again and fished a piece of coat hanger through to check for obstructions, then had my neighbor crank the car while I was watching the oil passage with an inspection mirror. Nothing. No oil stream, oil droplets, or even a puff of oil mist. I figure since it has less than two minutes of run time since the loss of oil pressure, I probably haven't destroyed my bearings so I'll quit while I'm ahead. Thanks for all the input and advice. I'll let everyone know the results of the tear down. Damn...
Old 05-04-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

What a drag.

Good luck
Old 05-04-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pull the valve covers and see if there's oil getting to the top, thats a good indication of having oil pressure or not. Your guage could be bad, also. That happens too. I'd get a mechanical guage before you decide to go tearing into the motor for absolutely no reason. there's adaptors to get it in where the sender is and also for right above the oil filter.

I wish you the best if you do have no pressure. Those mains will go quick with no lube.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:15 AM

I was going to put a mechanical gauge on it where the sending unit mounts, but there's no oil coming through that passage when the motor's running (tried running without the sending unit installed). After ten seconds and no oil spray, I figured it probably wasn't going to happen, so I shut it off.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:19 AM

One other thing- I took off the oil filler cap to look at the rocker arm that's visible. No signs of oil flow across the rocker, or signs of oil draining back through the head into the pan. I'm pretty sure the pump's bad, or the screen on the pickup tube is completely clogged. I'll find out once the oil pan is off.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:05 PM

So here are the results: I took it to Vengeance racing in Cumming, GA (excellent shop by the way), and it turns out the oil pressure regulator in my oil pump was failed open. The pump still worked, but all the oil was being bypassed. What are the odds...? Anyway, one new LS-2 oil pump later and the car's back on the road. Thanks for all the help with the troubleshooting, and many thanks to the guys at Vengeance.