LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Performance Engine Builder in LA?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Engine Builder in LA?

There are a ton of shops that I find on the internet, but I'm wondering about which ones you've all had positive experiences with.

Here's the story. Monday I bought a 97 SS. After finishing the break in on Thursday the car just felt slow, My 96 z28 was faster. Then friday got real, real bad rod knock and had to tow the car to my mechanic. Now the engine was rebuilt only 2000 miles ago (I put the last 700 breakin miles on it) and there is a warranty...at a shop 50 miles away. I know my recently upgraded AAA coverage will allow me to tow the car that distance, however this guy is not an engine builder, a fact that I suspect might have something to do with the problem with my motor, in all fairness maybe not, maybe just mechanical failure) But I live in the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles and I don't want to be hand cuffed to a mechanic shop 50 miles away to keep the warranty. Obviously I'll have him service the engine this time, but 50 miles is far.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a shop in the Valley or close to it in LA. Like I said I can find their websites, but I have no frame of reference for the work they do how pricey they are.

A few more questions. Since thsi guy will probably have to pull the motor to fix it, I am debating sending teh engine out to have some work done, I figure I'll save some money on the labor.

But how much does it normally cost to pull a motor.

How much do you guys pay for some one installing new rods and pistons.

I am not a mechanic beyond simple bolt ons, and I don't want to be on the forums asking why my **** doesn't work cause I tried to tear my motor apart and mess with the internals myself. I want an experienced engine builder working on my motor's internals. Anyway, I've rambled enough. Any help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Performance Engine Builder in LA?