Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E rebuild: I'm goin' in....

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E rebuild: I'm goin' in....

I've noticed some odd behavior from my trans in the recent months and I think it's about to take a dump, so I brought a core trans tuesday that I'm going to rebuild. The parts/tools for this will arrive tomorrow and I've already got it drained. I want to go in with an aftermarket cooler and external ATF filter kit after it's done and I wanted to know of (besides heat/filtration) what other issues I should be looking to correct.

P.S. Oh yeah, for those of you wondering what constitutes "odd behavior"
  1. no 4th gear for a while after a cold start
  2. No WOT or it will hang in every gear
  3. minimal throttle in 4th or I get heavy slippage
  4. kickdown from 4-3 about 60% of the time when nailing the throttle (all other times, it's pure slip)
  5. Shift requires easing off the throttle, especially when going from 3 to 4
  6. 'ratcheting' sound in reverse at anything much higher than idle

I'm Basically restricted from WOT which not fun. Even less so when all you have is a 6.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by IWantAnA6
I've noticed some odd behavior from my trans in the recent months and I think it's about to take a dump, so I brought a core trans tuesday that I'm going to rebuild. The parts/tools for this will arrive tomorrow and I've already got it drained. I want to go in with an aftermarket cooler and external ATF filter kit after it's done and I wanted to know of (besides heat/filtration) what other issues I should be looking to correct.

P.S. Oh yeah, for those of you wondering what constitutes "odd behavior"
  1. no 4th gear for a while after a cold start
  2. No WOT or it will hang in every gear
  3. minimal throttle in 4th or I get heavy slippage
  4. kickdown from 4-3 about 60% of the time when nailing the throttle (all other times, it's pure slip)
  5. Shift requires easing off the throttle, especially when going from 3 to 4
  6. 'ratcheting' sound in reverse at anything much higher than idle
I'm Basically restricted from WOT which not fun. Even less so when all you have is a 6.
I am not so sure that a build will fix all of that.

1- The fourth gear after a cold start are you sure that isnt lockup your mnissing its not allowed till the engine gets warm and would be very pronounced like a gear with the small v6 converter almost like a stall.

2-Could be a sensor or tuning issue if any tunings been done

3-If you give much throttle at all it will disengage lockup and thats normal but will feel like slip with the v6 converter unless you reall get on it.

4- This and your no upshift in other gears could be a TPS issue even without a code

5- Unless the tuning is altered the PCM will not allow WOT 3-4 shift

6-This may be a real problem though havent heard that before

Sorry just giving a little insight and support

Call 888-744-6542

Old 05-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no shifting at WOT from the factory? You're kidding, right? (Well, probably not but that means that in addition to a new TC, I'm gonna need to get a tune. Sigh...)

I appreciate your insight Perfromabuilt and should prbabaly clarify: The 'cold starts' I'm refering to happen at night, in 60 degree floridian weather. I drive it for a half hour (to work) and 4 hours later I of course drive it back. This is primarily when the no 4th thing happens. If that converter slip thing is true, it won't be after I get rid of the old one. The car has never been tuned before to my knowledge and with no mods, there'd be no reason to.

Man, I'd love to just believe that these 'symptoms' are all just little things that are natural, or things that have developed over the years, but these combined with the fact that no one but me has done any tranny related maintenance on this car since it was made (10 years ago...) plus the burnt smelling (but still red) tranny fluid that came off of the dipstick with, what I believe to be a super-small piece of one of the clutches tells me I need a rebuild. The worsening condition of these things tell me I need one soon.

I'm thinking of a shift kit, but a builder i talked to said that those are an awesome way to kill your trans. Thoughts?
Old 05-03-2007, 07:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well no WOT 4th is correct, Now lockup till over 140 degrees is correct,
You probably do need a trans and while a shift kit can help a healthy trans it can kill one on its last legs

Call 888-744-6542