Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New Alpine HU Installed!!

Old 05-03-2007, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Alpine HU Installed!!

I just bought the Alpine CDE-9881 HU from Best Buy. I bought this unit because Alpines are red and blue and match inside pretty good. I would reccomend someone who wants to buy it get it from Crutchfield for 10 bucks cheaper cause u dont have to pay tax. I was in a hurry and wanted to change it cause the Monsoon had to go. I hated the Monsoon ever since I bought the car new. Sometimes it sounded good and sometimes it didnt. Bought a Metra dash works wiring harness #BB-WHGM2 and a attena adapater 40-GM10. The new headunit made the old speakers sounds better in my oppion. Don't listen to any of the shops or people telling you that you have to replace the whole wiring harness and speakers. I might replace speakers later but I just wanted a little clearer sound and a better adjusment .DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU THAT YOU CAN'T CHANGE THE HEADUNIT. On speakers try the sticky in this forum and it will answer all you questions about speakers and other related stuff.

FOREVER LIVE THE BIRD
Old 05-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Launching!

are you still using the factory steering wheel controls ?
Old 05-03-2007, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

I am sorry I forgot to mention I havent got that hooked up yet. The Alpine 9881 HU is remote capable but the remote dosent come with it. I am getting the PAC SWI-X Universal kit. It works on about everything but like a few sony radios. Sorry I haven't got that in yet and could tell you how it works. I heard its pretty simple and straight forward. You just have to have a radio with remote capability and some patience dialing it in.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Launching!

yes if you could that would be GREAT! im plannin on swapping mine out just as soon as i hear how well that remote works...
Old 05-03-2007, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Yea I might try to go look for one tomorrow and have it in tomorrow night. If not I will get it off Crutchfield. Remember that your radio must be remote capable to get the steering wheel buttons to work with the Pac SWI-X harness.

I don't know if this really matters but a lot of people go with the Alpine headunits because they have a bigger internal amp in them. Plus I think they look better than the new pioneer units. I was a big pioneer fan but I hate the looks and how they are setup now.....lol
Old 05-04-2007, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as your model has a steering wheel remote control in, you can use PAC SWI-ALP and not worry about the IR.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by you2slo
As long as your model has a steering wheel remote control in, you can use PAC SWI-ALP and not worry about the IR.
What does that one do exactly? Does it wire into ur factory wire somehow?
Old 05-05-2007, 09:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. There is a connedtion on the back of the HU.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

Yea I know what you are talking about now. My 9881 is not compatiable with that Pac model. 9883 and up are and I think a few lower models. MY DAMN luck the one I buy is not capable.....lol
Old 05-07-2007, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1snakebiter
I am sorry I forgot to mention I havent got that hooked up yet. The Alpine 9881 HU is remote capable but the remote dosent come with it. I am getting the PAC SWI-X Universal kit. It works on about everything but like a few sony radios. Sorry I haven't got that in yet and could tell you how it works. I heard its pretty simple and straight forward. You just have to have a radio with remote capability and some patience dialing it in.
These things are awesome, I have 1 in my car right now. I have had to move it around some to find a good place for it though, where my gear shift **** doesn't get in the way etc.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jeresous
These things are awesome, I have 1 in my car right now. I have had to move it around some to find a good place for it though, where my gear shift **** doesn't get in the way etc.
Yea but with this Pac SWI-ALP one you don't have the infared light. It wires up to your harness to the blue wire for your sterring wheel controls. Sounds a lot more reliable.

Search this Thread