Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help! Pressed the Brakes and Swirved Like a MoFo!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help! Pressed the Brakes and Swirved Like a ****!!

This story happened about two weeks ago: I took off pretty fast and pressed the brakes hard to avoid a car, and almost hit two cars because I swirved in every direction.

Prior to this, I've been hearing a fain't thumping noise everytime I turn left. I didnt think much of it. Last week, I took the car in to get the tips welded on and the mechanic, (also a member on these boards) told me that there were no bolts to tighten the steering rack. I've had a brand new LS1 put in about a month ago due to a spun bearing. Did the guys forget to bolt it up? It's directly under the oil pan and when I checked it out for myself, I could see the threading from a screw with no nuts securing it.

A few days ago, I also had to brake suddenly for a red light and felt the car ready to swirve. It's almost like driving on ice.

Could this be the reason why I ain't sticking?

Pardon my ramblings, It's 12:00AM, it's been a long day and I'm tired as fudge. So if my thread doesn't make a lot of sense bear with me!

Thanx!
James
Old 05-04-2007, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hell yeah man, there is supposed to be two nuts holding those bolts on there. If theres no bolts then your when you turn the steering it's gonna put force on those bolts lifting up on them. Can you see any marks on your oil pan where the rack has probably been hitting it?
Old 05-04-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil pan looked ok to me when I checked it. But thanx for the input!