Advanced Engineering Tech For the more hardcore LS1TECH residents

wb o2 sensor after the cats

Old 05-04-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wb o2 sensor after the cats

I bought the Innovate LM-1 because I want to portage it between my two cars. Right now I have the exhaust manifolds off the engine for the H/C swap to the LS6 parts.

With the LT1 there's not a problem placing the O2 sensor before the catalytic converter but with my LS1 this will be nearly impossible and it will of course only sample one bank or the other. I have to keep my manifolds and cats for now so advice to go long tube headers can't apply.

How much good will the LM-1 do with a new bung at the Y junction after the cats? What other options do I have for sensor placement? Thanks.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Talking

Put the Wb in 1 of the manifolds, and use the NB output to replace the 1 you removed....

BTW,
Old 05-04-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

I realize this can be done but my question was the effectiveness of putting the sensor after the cats. I'd like to read both banks and have a relatively easy time of repeatedly pulling the sensor so I can put it in the other car.

As for this question being in the wrong forum, please direct me to the right one.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

Cats tend to blend about 5 seconds of air/fuel data into each sample. Sampling after the cat would not allow you to tune transients (which is a big reason to run a wideband in the first place). WOT can also be slightly skewed, but not by much, maybe .2 AFR. One bank is fine as long as you're running closed loop, and give plenty of time to learn. If you're curious, you can swap back and forth once or twice to confirm whether either side has a problem. That's actually better than a blend of both banks.

Search this Thread