Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

OFI--need my a/c stuff

Old 05-04-2007, 09:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default OFI--need my a/c stuff

Joel i know you said you are busy but I have had this setup a month with no a/c
now and no progress lately towards getting some. It is getting hot here...87 deg yesterday and a/c retention was half the reason I purchased this setup. So far the kit is working REALLY well and I will post some 11-14psi numbers from the track tonight but A/C is not an option...its a necessity. I found a condenser that MIGHT work and i know your ordered it but I dont want to have to foot the bill for the experimentation with hoses and all but so far we arent really moving forward.

here is some technical info to make this post available to stay here. With the t-6 sized turbos, space is at a premium. i found a k&N air filter to fit..#ru-5163. It does not flow enuff to run at the track so I also have a screen type filter that i purchased from a ford procharger user. The HKS type mushroom looking filter may be a better all around option but I havent gotten that far yet.
I have had no more issues with the plug wires burning...zip tying them to the coil packs worked for me. I am using MSD wires for now...may use taylors later.
Power steering hose is close but has been no problem at all. While i had the header off, i dinged the header right where its closest to the p/s return hose and it has PLENTY of clearance there.
With the support bracket I had made, there have been zero cracking issues...it is strong enuff to support the setup...but it is ugly

Ill post some results on 11-14psi tonight/tomorrow and if all goes well...some higher boost track times May 12th. So far the kit kicks ***...makes great power...just need to get the a/c going and I will be a happy camper

the "tr8" heat range plugs are working OK but I still dont like the idle....after the hot summer months, i may jump up to a "tr7" range
Old 05-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's time for OFI to send you the parts that you need since it's not a part that requires fabrication lead time like a turbo manifold.

I hope you knock down some killer numbers at the track.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

subscribing....
Old 05-04-2007, 02:43 PM
9 Second Club

Just had to put that one word in there didn't ya!!!(FORD). Could of just said procharger user.JK. Talking to the wife now about going to the track.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:12 PM
11 Second Truck Club

as long as you DRIVE back from SDR tonight...its all good!
Good luck! I wish I wasn't working tonight
Old 05-04-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah I am also not real happy about not having a/c for now and till who knows when. It was also a large part of my decision to go with an OFI kit. Hopefully the new pass header Joel is supposed to be getting me (that I've been waiting patiently for 3 weeks now) will at least let me reinstall my compressor.

I agree that the kit will probably make great power but the extent of the modifications and fabrication that have been and will be neccessary to make the kit work make it FAR from a bolt on affair.

I think that Joel's original design ideas are good and all but a LOT more testing and quality control should have been instituted before marketing the kits. I am going to wait until I have the car running before posting a list of all the mods, fab/welding services and extra parts that I have had to purchase to make the setup work. I'm so far overbudget with this project it makes me nauseous to think about it!!!

I guess if it makes awesome power in the end that should make it worth it.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:09 PM
9 Second Club

I was under the impression that the kit retained the a/c in it's standard placement?You guy's have to relocate the a/c stuff to make it work?? Did not know this.Thought it was bolt on and play.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

yes, the kit does indeed retain the a/c parts in stock locations, however, cable found an issue that when driving around, the condenser wasn't efficiently dealing with the heat being heat from the new radiator. It works fine for a bit but then it shuts off or limp-mode.

There are a few ways around this though. One is that joel and cable where getting some ideas ready to fix this really non-issue. Also, we could just move the radiator back a few inches by trimming the crossbar back some, install puller types of fans like stock, and then mount the condenser infront of he radaitor again. This way, there shouldn't be any issues with the a/c and still have enough room, theoretically, for the turbo.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yea...the kit does keep the a/c. Cable found a proplem with it and we are fixing it at this moment. The condensor was getting to hot were it was. I however could not have tested for this sense up here in cleveland the weather is not 80+ in the month of october when the kit was on the car and driving. I am taking care of it and you all will have a/c that order a complete kit.

ssblack98 ...your header went out today.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSblack98

I agree that the kit will probably make great power but the extent of the modifications and fabrication that have been and will be neccessary to make the kit work make it FAR from a bolt on affair.

I think that Joel's original design ideas are good and all but a LOT more testing and quality control should have been instituted before marketing the kits. I am going to wait until I have the car running before posting a list of all the mods, fab/welding services and extra parts that I have had to purchase to make the setup work. I'm so far overbudget with this project it makes me nauseous to think about it!!!

I guess if it makes awesome power in the end that should make it worth it.
ditto that, It cost me an additional $1200 to get the kit fixed to the point of getting on the car. Its still not perfect. The pipe bend into the throttle body is off and not the correct angle and one pipe coming vertical from the bov pipe had to be dented in with a hammer so it would not pinch off the radiator hose. so the flow is not a true 3" on my cold side. Not sure if thats causing me lower #'s or what. Also I have to spend an additional $80 to get an air filter. The sound and feel of it though is great....

Joel if your seeing this I need a 90 bend to come off the throttle body to the where the maf would be...the pipe I have is not right

Last edited by Dbluegoat; 05-04-2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

i dont think that may be causing a low dyno number, but, stranger things have happened!!
Old 05-04-2007, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

can you fit a bigger condenser in there, or direct better airflow to it?
Old 05-04-2007, 11:57 PM
9 Second Club

typing from my phone. of all things, the alternator went out on my 3rd pass. car wouldn't 60 foot to save its life. tune was waaaay toorich down low and we think one plug wire may have been mostly off
pass 1....1.85ish......10.43,,,,,137MPH
PAsS 2....LEANED lOw BOOST a LITTLE...1.75 60foot 10.28...137mph
once I fix the tune down low...it will pick back up the 60foot times. this was 11psi 3960 raceweight. we will hit the track once more to make sure 60' is fixed and then go to 20ish psi and let it eat. I know it will run a 9 on 11psi....just got to get the 60' back
Old 05-05-2007, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

gotta get that A/C deal fixed. if i went front mount, i would have to have A/C here in texas..... it's a must. goodluck cable
Old 05-05-2007, 05:12 AM
11 Second Truck Club

alternator??? I guess the old one didn't like a constant belt tension!
I'm opening this morning...I'll get the part # if you haven't replaced it already and see if we have it in stock...if not I can get it from Forest Park this morning...
so you ended up having to have it towed?
or did it it happen early enough to go get a new one?

Last edited by Superado; 05-05-2007 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:27 AM
11 Second Truck Club

website is screwed up....its only showing PowerMaster alternators...I go in @ 7am...give me a call when you get up...
Old 05-05-2007, 05:47 AM
9 Second Club

i stayed at Gregs....we are going in a bit to get an alternator. Ed gave me the combination to get into the track
Old 05-05-2007, 08:42 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Are you going with another stock alternator? What was the car doing that made you know it was the alternator? I think mine might be bad as well but i don't know the symptoms. Thanks!

Car really seems like its going to be a good combo when all the bugs are worked out, great work!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 05-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by cablebandit
typing from my phone. of all things, the alternator went out on my 3rd pass. car wouldn't 60 foot to save its life. tune was waaaay toorich down low and we think one plug wire may have been mostly off
pass 1....1.85ish......10.43,,,,,137MPH
PAsS 2....LEANED lOw BOOST a LITTLE...1.75 60foot 10.28...137mph
once I fix the tune down low...it will pick back up the 60foot times. this was 11psi 3960 raceweight. we will hit the track once more to make sure 60' is fixed and then go to 20ish psi and let it eat. I know it will run a 9 on 11psi....just got to get the 60' back

137mph at 11 psi is stout! Easy 9 second power with a good 60. How much boost does it build on the TB? Congrats.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:34 AM
9 Second Club

gotta look at the logs...alternator was bad...new alternator that we rtested as good and it aint charging....swapped pcms...no we are looking at the exciter wire...waiting for the gmdvd to finish installing to see where it goes to the pcm for a continuity check.

Search this Thread