Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Multiple issues with my '01 TransAm.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple issues with my '01 TransAm.

This problem has been going on with my '01 TA with automatic transmission for a while now. I would be driving normally (i.e. non-aggressively), when my TCS light would go out. When this happens, I notice that my TA no longer accelerates like it should. As if it doesn't shift gears when it's supposed to. Turning the car off and then turning it back on again fixes this momentarily, but it'll always just happen again. Something wrong with the computer perhaps? Also, when this happens my Service Engine light would come on, but not every time.

The other issue is my driver's side front turn signal. The last bulb I had in there pretty much melted away. I guess that should've been a warning sign that something was wrong, eh . I stuck in another bulb anyway, and it's been working fine for I'd say 6 months. Now it doesn't work at all any more. The bulb is not melted, but it's got burn marks on it. Plugging in a new bulb doesn't work, so I guess the whole system is fried. What a pain in the *** this is. Not being able to signal is a real bitch.

Can anybody offer any insights as to what could be going on with my ride? Basically, I need to know what to tell the shop without sounding like a complete n00b. Thanks!
Old 05-04-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

dude the turn signal sockets short out thats a pretty common problem. so just replace em and use dielectric grease on the bulbs where they go into the socket. i dont know about your other problem. you will need to have your car scanned to find out the ses light if you can get me the code i might be able to point you in the right direction good luck
Old 05-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2000badbird
dude the turn signal sockets short out thats a pretty common problem. so just replace em and use dielectric grease on the bulbs where they go into the socket. i dont know about your other problem. you will need to have your car scanned to find out the ses light if you can get me the code i might be able to point you in the right direction good luck
I'll give it a shot. Whats the dielectric grease for, btw? And where do you get it? Would the local Pep Boys have it?
Old 05-06-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

its also know as terminal grease its what we use at the dealership you should be able to get it at any parts store its a grease for electrical componets
Old 05-06-2007, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pep Boys will have it, just ask them for Dielectric Grease/Compound and they'll give you a little packet with plenty in there for quite a few sockets. It's only like $1, or used to be when I worked at a parts store. It's good to use them on your battery terminals too (side post).
Old 05-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Teching In

Well, I plugged in a new bulb and it still didn't work. I took some electrical contact cleaner I got while I was at the auto store and cleaned out all the brown gunk that was built up in the socket as best as I could. I used a Q-tip to get all the way inside it. It still didn't work. I also tried multiple fresh bulbs with still no luck.

Looks like something serious has happened. Seems like I need to take her into the shop, and soon. Not being able to signal is starting to get a little dangerous! Good thing she's still covered by the MaxCare warranty by CarMax.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

your gonna need new sockets man its not hard just cut the old ones off and splice into the wires
Old 05-08-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

My passenger side turn signal kept burning out a little while back. Everytime it got real cold the driving lights and that signal would die, but then come back on when it the weather warmed back up. I don't have money or the knowledge to go messing around with it, so it works now. I guess when it gets cold again I'll have to fix it.

Ever since I bought this car the eletrical seems to be hosed. I think it's cuz the retarded owners who had it before stuck subs in the back of it and did a crappy job with the wiring. They also bent the little stubs for my T-tops holders. Pissed me off when I found that.

Quick Reply: Multiple issues with my '01 TransAm.