Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JP Performance Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JP Performance Timing Chain

Ok i just recieved a timing chain from speedinc since they were out of the rollmasters they sent me a jp performance adjustable timing chain. Now i have one question how do i line it up dot to dot there is a dot on the cam gear but on the crank gear there are all different numbers to advance or retard timing. The thing is there is a 0 degree mark that i figured would line up with the dot but then on the teeth itself the 0 mark is in a different spot.

What has to line up the 0 on the center of the sprocket or the 0 on the tooth part? And also it comes with a spacer and some other piece im not really sure what they do. It will probably make more sense when i put it on the car but does anyone have any idea when these should be used or have instructions for this timing chain?
Old 05-04-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the numbers on the key weigh slots are a double checker kind of thing. If you are installing the cam at 0* advance, slide the crank gear on till it gets to the key weigh in the crank. Turn the gear till the key weigh lines up with the 0* slot. Once installed, you then line the dot on the cam gear up with the 0 on the crank gear teeth. You should end up with "dot on the cam gear lined up with 0 on the crank teeth". The key weigh should be on the 0 internal crank slot. The same would apply with whatever setting you used.

The metal spacers are to space your oil pump out to have clearence for the double chain. The other round item is the drive for the oil pump. You'll see what it looks like when you take it apart.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

yea i figured it would be easy when its rght there in front of me but i only have a single chain is that spacer unneccessary then?
Old 05-04-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The round shim looking piece is the torrington bearing. It goes on the backside of the cam gear. It's silver on one side, black on the other. It only goes on one way, black facing the cam.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

ok cool thanks alot
Old 10-12-2023, 06:54 PM

Default Jp cam gear timing marks.two sets

Originally Posted by p8ntmunky
Ok i just recieved a timing chain from speedinc since they were out of the rollmasters they sent me a jp performance adjustable timing chain. Now i have one question how do i line it up dot to dot there is a dot on the cam gear but on the crank gear there are all different numbers to advance or retard timing. The thing is there is a 0 degree mark that i figured would line up with the dot but then on the teeth itself the 0 mark is in a different spot.

What has to line up the 0 on the center of the sprocket or the 0 on the tooth part? And also it comes with a spacer and some other piece im not really sure what they do. It will probably make more sense when i put it on the car but does anyone have any idea when these should be used or have instructions for this timing chain?
Finally clear on TDC the crank gear outer to line up with cam gear dot and the inner crank gear 0 on the keyway. Knowing this you can go inrements plus adv minu retard use the outer markings

Old 10-12-2023, 07:57 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,367 Likes on 2,084 Posts

Originally Posted by Ptork
Finally clear on TDC the crank gear outer to line up with cam gear dot and the inner crank gear 0 on the keyway. Knowing this you can go inrements plus adv minu retard use the outer markings

What engine platform are you working with here Ptork? This is a GM LS based forum.
Old 10-12-2023, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by che70velle
what engine platform are you working with here ptork? This is a gm ls based forum.
its a rover v8 ..buick. I was just following on from another thead that was discussing jp cam gear..ls or rover or anything. I will unsubscribe thanks
Old 10-17-2023, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ptork

Nice, it looks neat and clean.

Quick Reply: JP Performance Timing Chain