Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

side to side vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default side to side vibration

my steering wheel has a side to side vibration/movement at or over 50mph. any ideas what it could be. i have had new tires on for about two months, never changed any suspension, car only has 41k on it. i just noticed it now.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

Does the vibration only happen over 50mph and NOT when you are applying the brakes? If so that is tire vibration, what kind of wheels do you have, if they are "vanity" wheels, or wheels where the weight is stuck on the inside of the rim then the weights may have fallen off.

Take it back where you had the tires put on and have them re-balance them, but remember if you have some type of fancy directional tire that is not very good then sometimes vibration is unavoidable, we see this alot with Yokohama directional tires.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Like Fibbado said, if its a vibration while driving and not applying brakes then its a balance problem. Get the wheels rebalanced, preferably on a road force machine (which can detect out-of-round and non-obvious defects).
Old 05-05-2007, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

yeah it does do it without applying brake pressure, i just put new 17in ch zr1s and new tires on it. i will have them rebalanced, thanks guys.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

keep in mind the ZR1's are designed in the OEM fashion but a better finish so they have an outside lip designed for weight... obviously you probably don't want weight on the outside to bear with the tech as you are asking him to do something special