LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1 week till motor delivery......

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 05:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1 week till motor delivery......

hey guys, long time no post... i've been kicking it trying to get the motor finished and getting ready to beat down my engine guy from stressin me out... had a bunch of last minute stuff that we wanted to change that put at least a two month delay on delivery.... anyone building a motor can take this info that you're GOING to come into this **** when doing a buildup....

1. Heads from AFR that were CNC competition ported needed to go to get handported to remove the ridge in the port (worth about 10cfm) where the CNC cutter meets as it comes from the top/bottom of the port.... So we had the porter completely hand port and polish the intake and exhaust port. looks way better than the CNC finish on the ports out of the box.... Flowed em and put down 334 cfm intake and 247 cfm exhaust at .650....

2. we didn't like the fluiddampr that I had since it weighs like freakin 20lbs and was like and anchor on the front of the motor. Sold it and bought an ATI balancer... which led us to #3.

3. I had a 8" crank trigger with my 7.5" balancer that I sold.... now my new balancer was 6.75" which made me have to return my old crank trigger and buy a new one..... when doing returns Summit lost my old trigger and took three weeks to figure out where it was before they could send me a new one....

4. head bolts vs head studs (this argument went on for two weeks)... I win.... head studs went on today.

5. modifying oil pan dipstick tube..... doesn't fit with 4 bolt main caps..... cut about 4 inches off the tube and "convinced" it to fit...

so FINALLY i am close to picking my motor up and droppin it... looking to have it in the car by the end of may.... i'll be doing electrical, hookin up fuel system and wrappin up loose ends in june.....

Last edited by OutlawZ; 05-04-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:18 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wondering what happend to ya bro, you were offline for like a month!

Good to hear things are getting back on schedule.

Good Luck!

Tony.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I flew two back to back missions out of the country for work (I'm a flyer in the air force) and was out of pocket for awhile.... Other than that I really didn't have much to say since I was still addressing motor issues... I hate giving excuses on why **** ain't done so i'd rather remain quiet until i'm nearing the end.....

but i was at the shop today and motor looked KILLER! my engine builder says there is no way this thing ain't breaking some records.....

The most hilarious thing is that Lance who's building my motor dropped a real funny line on me today. We're sitting there looking at my heads and he's telling me about how he stripped down my heads and took off all the stock stuff that AFR heads come with that he doesn't like to use like the retainers, locks, valve seals, etc.... He's showing me these new Manton titanium retainers that are custom fit to my nextec springs so there is no play in the retainer when it sits on top and bottom of the spring. No play = good i'm thinking.....

So I calmly ask him this:

Me-"So Lance the AFR's came with titanium retainers right?"

Him-"Yeah"

Me-"Soooo, we're just throwing them out?"

Him-"Yeah they are junk in an application like this"

Me-"Okay so how much do the new manton retainers cost"

and he busts out the classic line:

HIM-"I have no idea, but they are hella expensive"

In the back of my head I'm hearing a cash register going cha ching, cha ching, cha ching.... LMFAO!

Quick Reply: 1 week till motor delivery......