Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3/4L60E in an 86 monte carlo ss

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 5.3/4L60E in an 86 monte carlo ss

I have convinced myself that I am going to swap a 5.3/4L60E into my 86 Monte SS. Assuming that I can get a low mileage engine/tranny/wiring harness/computer for $1000, How much above that am I looking at spending for the swap? I plan on using a 4.3 tbi tank w/ walbro 255 intank pump, S&P mounts, shorten the driveshaft, send out the harness to be reworked, notch the frame crossmember, and hopefully get my current exhaust modified. I am still unclear on the headers, can I use f-body or truck manifolds? And does anyone offer an aftermarket crossmember for the 4L60E?
Realistically, how big of a time commitment is this and how much of a headache is the wiring? I have the time to do it right but I do have to work within a budget.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate to burst your bubble man but you wont find a low mile engine/tranny/wiring harness/computer for $1,000 bucks. I have done 3 5.3 swaps and I have a very good salvage source that gives me great deals and first picks and I cant get a low mile setup for a grand. The latest swap I did was 3/06 and he got me an all alluminum 310 hp 335 tq 5.3 with 12k and a 2006 4l60 with 2k complete with all accessorys, wiring, computer and fuel pump and it was $2,200 bucks and that was a steal. All that I could get for a $1,000 would be something with over 100,000 miles on it. You will save some money by going with a steel block I know I paid a little more for the 25 extra hp over the steel block and toned down heads.

If you do decide to do the swap here are a few things that I did to save money and stay in my budget. Number one dont try to do the wiring yourself. If you dont have all of the wiring diagrams and a ton of time all you will have is a rats nest and frustration. I would reccomend getting in touch with Dana at ls1wiring.com. They offer many options for wiring,tuning, etc. I promise it will be the best money that you spend. I sent in a 18 pound box of wire and got back a 11 pound box with all of my connections very clearly labeled for easy installation. Another way I have found to save money is to forget about expensive aftermarket fuel pumps. All of my swaps have the factory GM fuel pump and sender assembly in them. You can probably modify your tank as I have and just plug it in and go. I always have made the salvage guy throw it in with the deal. Another thing I have had good luck with is using 98 and up ls1 camaro radiator and dual fan setup. I purchased the last setup from a member of this forum for $125.00 and they work great. In my last swap I spent around $1,500-2,000 over the cost of the drivetrain on wiring, tuning, motormounts, cooling setup, custom A/C lines(new style compressor will require welding new style ends to your lines or vice versa) , custom power steering lines ( power steering gearbox does not match new style pump), fabed tank, and misc. All and all I would plan on the $3,500-5,000 range just depending on what you start with. Just look on the bright side its still cheaper than an ls1. Hope some of this helps. Good luck to ya!

http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w110/1sick66/

Last edited by 66 chevy truck man; 05-05-2007 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Staging Lane

I just finished putting a carbed LS1 (6) in my 87SS. It's quite a bit of work even using the carb set-up. Which eliminates all kinds of wiring and fuel system changes.
It took me months..
I'm really happy with it. For a while I thought I should have went with a 383 sbc to ease the swap and money wasn't real tight. But, now that it's finished I'm thrilled. The motor is strong, from everything I read an LS6 on a carb make close to 400 horses and it certainly pulls like it has 400 horses. The LS aluminum motor is 100s of pounds lighter and the Monte is a whole new beast to drive. It feels alot more nimble. The front end push is ... well gone. So, my summary.. The swap is some work. IF your going to all that work use an aluminum LS motor.. it lightens the car making it alot more nimble and lighter is also faster. and IMHO when it's done you'll have something "special". If you want 275hp of iron put a decent 350 in it. It's alot less work.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5.3/4l60e combos (talking about the iron truck block) with 60-80K miles sell for around $1000 in my area - they are much more common and less desireable than LS1's.

87ssMonte - What did you use for headers and motor mounts? I'm looking for a good balance between performance, driveablity, and gas mileage. An LSx motor seems to provide that, even if it takes a little more work and money up front.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:21 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you checked out John B`s site? Also check out the El Camino thread, if you search for camino it should come up.

You will probably spend a 1000 minimum to swap it in. You can use the TBI tank/sender and a GM style fuel pump. I used a LS1 F-body pump, but I have heard a vortec 5.7L pump will also work. When you grab the motor, try to grab the underhood fuse box, it will make it much easier to hook up, theres a thread about that too. I think everyone who tried to use the truck exhaust manifolds said they hit the frame, f-body ones will clear. For the trans crossmember you can use a factory TH350/200 crossmember if you cut the mounting tab down slightly. The 200R4 crossmember will not work. You could also go with an aftermarket crossmember for a 700r4 as the 4l60e mount is in the same place as a 700r4. I welded my own crossmember out of 2x3 stock so that it would clear true duals.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

I got a 5.3 w/o trans for $500 from a local junkyard. They also had 4l60e for 700 bucks. So the swap is very doable for around 1000 bucks.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:29 AM
Staging Lane

I used Transdapt motor mounts, Firebird manifolds, and a reworked 200r4. The big issue is the oilpan/crossmember. I cut and reboxed mine to fit the firebird oilpan.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 66 chevy truck man
I hate to burst your bubble man but you wont find a low mile engine/tranny/wiring harness/computer for $1,000 bucks. I have done 3 5.3 swaps and I have a very good salvage source that gives me great deals and first picks and I cant get a low mile setup for a grand. The latest swap I did was 3/06 and he got me an all alluminum 310 hp 335 tq 5.3 with 12k and a 2006 4l60 with 2k complete with all accessorys, wiring, computer and fuel pump and it was $2,200 bucks and that was a steal. All that I could get for a $1,000 would be something with over 100,000 miles on it. You will save some money by going with a steel block I know I paid a little more for the 25 extra hp over the steel block and toned down heads.

If you do decide to do the swap here are a few things that I did to save money and stay in my budget. Number one dont try to do the wiring yourself. If you dont have all of the wiring diagrams and a ton of time all you will have is a rats nest and frustration. I would reccomend getting in touch with Dana at ls1wiring.com. They offer many options for wiring,tuning, etc. I promise it will be the best money that you spend. I sent in a 18 pound box of wire and got back a 11 pound box with all of my connections very clearly labeled for easy installation. Another way I have found to save money is to forget about expensive aftermarket fuel pumps. All of my swaps have the factory GM fuel pump and sender assembly in them. You can probably modify your tank as I have and just plug it in and go. I always have made the salvage guy throw it in with the deal. Another thing I have had good luck with is using 98 and up ls1 camaro radiator and dual fan setup. I purchased the last setup from a member of this forum for $125.00 and they work great. In my last swap I spent around $1,500-2,000 over the cost of the drivetrain on wiring, tuning, motormounts, cooling setup, custom A/C lines(new style compressor will require welding new style ends to your lines or vice versa) , custom power steering lines ( power steering gearbox does not match new style pump), fabed tank, and misc. All and all I would plan on the $3,500-5,000 range just depending on what you start with. Just look on the bright side its still cheaper than an ls1. Hope some of this helps. Good luck to ya!

http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w110/1sick66/

That my friend I can say is wrong. I just got a 99 z71 got rolled over. 80,000 miles, rounds to about 10,000 a year. Original owner had it. He bought it brand new. I got the truck for $800. Even has brand new tires on it. Leather seats and all. LOL
Old 05-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Teching In

I see everyone talking about ls1/4l60e combos into their G-bodies, why not swap in an Ls1 with the 2004r that's already in the car? I know the trans would have to be built up, but you wouldn't have to shorten the driveshaft, fab a sender for the speedo, or add another computer to control it. That's what I'm considering for my 86 SS.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nelson71
I see everyone talking about ls1/4l60e combos into their G-bodies, why not swap in an Ls1 with the 2004r that's already in the car? I know the trans would have to be built up, but you wouldn't have to shorten the driveshaft, fab a sender for the speedo, or add another computer to control it. That's what I'm considering for my 86 SS.
I hope to be able to tell you how good it works by the end of next week. I am switching my car back to a 200-4R. I liked the T56 but everytime I wanted to go th the track I had to wonder if the rear would let go.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Teching In

I'd say definatly look around, it also helps if your not in a hurry. I waited 2 months for my local JY to get something good and it paid off in my case. I stole/scored an 05 5.3/4l60e flex fuel motor w 5000mi and just about anything I could grab for one grand. So definatly be on the look out and start reading. Read just about every thead about any swap doesnt matter the car. Read the stuff that pertains and disregard everything else. My swap will be into my 65 chevy c-10 and I cant wait.

Graham
Old 05-28-2007, 10:47 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nelson71
There are advantages and drawbacks to both setups. With the 200 you would have to get the crank spacer, plus it may cause computer problems. The truck LSx motors use a complicated park/neutral switch that I still have not determined wether or not it it is necessary. The switch would be difficult to attach to the th200r4, plus the LSx computer is already setup to run a trans. You don`t have to add another computer, but if you run a 200r4 you would need to re-flash the computer to remove the transmission codes/controls.

Quick Reply: 5.3/4L60E in an 86 monte carlo ss