Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Gears Grinding, please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears Grinding, please help!!!

I just got my tranny rebuilt by T56 rebuilds and installed it about two months ago. During the install i also replaced my slave cylinder, clutch(textralia), and pilot bearing. My master is an adjustable RAM i've had for about two years with only 8k miles on it. Well the car ran great for the last two months and about 1200 miles. Then last weekend it started grinding when going into all gears. The pedal engagement changed to being directly off of the floor and the clutch isnt fully disengaging.
I rebled it with a mity-vac up top at the resevoir and re-bled the slave with the crack and bleed method. I also rechanged my tranny fluid to dexron 3. There was absolutely no air in the system but the problem persists.
I put the car in 1st held the clutch in and gave it some gas and it did roll forward. Tried it in reverse and again it rolled back, so i know it is not fully disengageing. I also noticed that if i put it in nuetral and pump the clutch a couple times, it shifts without any problem.
So does anybody have any idea on what could be the problem. Is it possible i could just need to adjust my master engagement point up higher now that the clutch is fully broken in?
Old 05-05-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you have described is clearly air in your hydraulics.This is not a trans problem.
Old 05-05-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

Is there any other way i should be bleeding my hydraulic system to try and get the air out of the system. As i said above i bleed it using the mity-vac and crack bleed the slave cylinder under the car. Is there something else i should be doing to bleed it.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

I tried to adjust the master cylinder and i went all the way until i came apart. Still wasnt pushing the clutch in all the way. I think next i should tear it down and check that the clutch bolts havent started to back out. Does anybody else have any ideas or advice on what i should or could do?
Old 05-05-2007, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

Is it possible that the bleeder on the slave some how came loose and is letting air inside, has anybody ever heard of this happening?
Old 05-05-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Does anybody have any ideas as to what the problem could be with the car or the tranny. I am thinking of just changing everythig out and seeing if that'll fix the problem. But i really dont wanna spend the money to replace everything.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat with you. I have the same stuff you have ( Ram Adj. master, new slave, rebuilt by T56rebuilds, Stg 3 Spec though. ) I only have about 700 miles on mine and yesterday when I got on it in 2nd it wouldn't shift into 3rd. Got it into 3rd and grinded going into 4th. I also bled the **** out of mine. I thought the same as you did ( maybe I need to adjust the M/ C ), but you said you did that and didn't help so it might not help me either. I don't know what else to do.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Im going over to buy a new master cylinder right now. Ill let you know if that makes a diffference at all.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

im also in the same boat i will have it change the whole cluch kit out next week ill let u guys know
Old 05-07-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im kind of in the same boat as well. Except mine doesnt roll foward when im stopped and rev it up....dunno what im going to try next.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

Well i just finished changing my RAM adjustable master to a brand new stock master. While i was doing the swap i noticed that the stock master has more travel than the RAM adjustable did. So i am hoping this fixed the problem. I am waiting for my roommate to get back with the brake fluid and mity-vac to bleed the system and then give it a go. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

Well i just got done bleeding the system with the new master in and it fixed all of the problems. The car now fully disengages and shifts much, much better. No more grinding at all, but a little bit of chatter. I think that'll go away soon though. I hope this helps some of you out and you get your cars fixed and working right, good luck guys.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:41 PM
11 Second Club

That's good to hear. I adjusted my master today to where the clutch pedal is out a little further than the brake pedal fully disengaged. Went out and tried it and it will shift into 3rd good now but still grinded into fourth. Tried again and it shifted smooth as butter 1st through 4th. Go figure. Maybe it just needed some beating. Probably will put a stock master back in anyways. I've heard of some people having problems with the adjustables, but you know how that is some do and some don't.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:55 AM
TECH Regular

The stock master swap was easy as hell for some reason this time. It took me about an hour and 15 minutes to do it by myself. That little clip holding the rod end killed me with the adjustable. Also i just bought a cheap *** rabestos master, was only $62.00 at monument car parts. Too cheap not too give that a try first. Good luck with getting yours fixed blue98z. Now the girlfriend wants to learn to drive it, oh geez.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:08 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks man. Good luck with the girlfriend
Old 05-08-2007, 11:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your sig says that you have LT's you need to wrap your line with some alum tape or some kind of heat resistant wrap. This will help with the fluid breaking down or boiling.

Quick Reply: Gears Grinding, please help!!!