Racer's Lounge - Gumball 3000 Accident

View Full Version : Gumball 3000 Accident

FL THRTL
05-05-2007, 04:01 PM
I'm sure many of you know about the Gumball 3000 and have heard of the crazy driving that goes on. There have been quite a few accidents in the past, although none involving local drivers or fatalities. Until now:

We've been covering the Gumball 3000 up to this point with good cheer, and we'd hoped it would stay that way. Unfortunately, sometimes when you mix high-powered vehicles with the double dose of stupid -- adrenalin and lack of sleep -- bad things can happen. Like what appears to have happened with Nick Morley and Matthew McConville who according to a report from Metro.co.uk

...have been arrested in Macedonia after an alleged hit and run incident which left one man dead and his wife fighting for her life.
The 67-year-old died on his way to hospital and his wife was in a critical condition after a Porsche taking part in the super car race crossed the road at speed and ploughed into their VW Golf...

...The drivers of the Porsche 911 Turbo Techart which Macedonian TV station A1 named as Nick Morley and Matthew McConville, allegedly got out of their crashed car and ran off.
The station said they later climbed into another car, a BMW, and tried to leave the country.

But eye witnesses alerted police and the pair were arrested at the border.

My condolences to the family involved in the crash, this is very sad.

link: http://jalopnik.com/cars/gumball-3000/gumballers-nick-morley-and-matthew-mcconville-arrested-after-hit+and+run-fatality-257447.php

SScott236
05-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Damn, thats fucked up.

Reject
05-05-2007, 08:44 PM
damn i was wondering what happened, and agree'd that's low

04gtoBMXracer
05-06-2007, 04:42 AM
damn poor people

BAD ASS TA WS6
05-06-2007, 08:35 PM
That sucks. They tried to get away and didn't make it either. Now they are really going to look bad.

What a waste of an insanely sick Porsche.

Revelation Z28
05-06-2007, 09:02 PM
dont you take the risk of all that in a race like that?

JUICED96Z
05-06-2007, 11:16 PM
That sucks. They tried to get away and didn't make it either. Now they are really going to look bad.

I think I would rather see the Porsche go then the guy that died :eyes:

Revelation, ya yo take a risk like that but what about the people that get killed and are not racing?

kaos_
05-06-2007, 11:47 PM
that's always been the downside of unsanctioned races like the gumball. now its actually happened. i'd like to fight for the sake of racing here but this is just another event to prove how dangerous it is, especially when innocents are involved.

Revelation Z28
05-06-2007, 11:50 PM

Revelation, ya yo take a risk like that but what about the people that get killed and are not racing?

ooh, i thought it was another set of people racing.

Reject
05-07-2007, 06:00 AM
it's on public roads... your going balls out that your car can go, with just regular millionairs driving the cars.

and :werd: i love porsche's and all, but i'd of rather seen the car tear up instead of those peoples lives.

skywalkrNCSU
05-07-2007, 09:58 AM
that sucks...everything is ok until innocent people start getting hurt

LSfast1
05-07-2007, 10:01 AM
wow looks like the porsche went head on with that mkII golf.

that really sucks. what idiots for trying to run away.

BAD ASS TA WS6
05-07-2007, 06:53 PM

In most cases, the people who have enough $$$ to enter a race like that can't drive for shit. Serves him right for being a douchebag unable to handle such a car. The guy is a fashion designer or something along those lines. Should have stuck with that...

Still a bummer about the car. I think I heard a Carrera GT, and a Ford GT were also crashed so far.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e66_1178297762&c=1

Reject
05-07-2007, 07:07 PM
i know torquenstien totalled his viper

GTOpowered240sx
05-07-2007, 08:07 PM
What a f@ckin douche!! WTF did he run for???

Its dumbasses like this that ruin these things for others. I hope they charge him with manslaughter.

That poor family!! :(

BizZzatch350
05-07-2007, 09:40 PM

what, look bad? Should be the least of their worries, they killed some one and ran off, the fact they tried to leave the country shows what kind of peaces of shit they are. They kill some one, hurt another then leave. What a waste of human life, fuck the porsche

Reject
05-07-2007, 10:02 PM
agreed :werd: life>porsche

SStockSuckS
05-08-2007, 12:14 AM
thats horrible... what kind piece of shit are to leave some one dead and one hurting ... and still try to run off.... Damn those two... life>porsche or over any car...cars can be replace...

Vendetta
05-08-2007, 01:00 AM

A guy died and you're talking about a Porsche?

Classy.

JUICED96Z
05-08-2007, 03:41 AM
Agreed that most people who can afford those cars CAN'T drive. MOST.

I know of two Ferrari owners that CAN drive REALLY well and not stupidly.

Enough to spook me when I was in the cars :D

Coy
05-08-2007, 06:37 AM

Classy.

:werd:

BAD ASS TA WS6
05-08-2007, 09:44 AM

Classy.

LOL read my second post. People die everyday in similar accidents. The only reason this is all over the news is because its the Gumball rally and some rich fuckass couldn't control his car.

MrDude_1
05-08-2007, 10:03 AM
LOL read my second post. People die everyday in similar accidents. The only reason this is all over the news is because its the Gumball rally and some rich fuckass couldn't control his car.

i think their point was the only reason IT HAPPENED is because its the Gumball rally and some rich fuckass couldn't control his car.

not because its in the news.

BAD ASS TA WS6
05-08-2007, 10:13 AM
i think their point was the only reason IT HAPPENED is because its the Gumball rally and some rich fuckass couldn't control his car.

not because its in the news.

Yeah, I know. And what I was refferring to before by them looking bad...

They tried to run after killing a guy, and the wife died the other day as well.

Now they are in jail, and they are REALLY going to throw the book at them.

WECIV
05-08-2007, 11:55 AM
I hope those pricks languish in jail, after leaving those ppl in a bad state.

FL THRTL
05-08-2007, 12:59 PM
I've heard since my original posting that the charges were dropped on the passenger, and the driver is now out on bail. According to the organizer of the rally the Porsche was travelling at less than 60 KPH and the couple in the Golf pulled out in front of them when they didn't have the right of way. To be honest, I was wondering how the drivers of the Porsche could have escaped a 1XX mph crash without a scratch. It makes some sense if you see the pictures as you wouldn't have to be going very fast for a brand new 2007 Porsche to jack up a 20+ year old Golf. I read an article from another participant who had travelled down the same road the crash happened on that evening and completely missed the scene. According to him all the Gumballers had been given a GPS system of questionable accuracy to navigate with as opposed to paper maps which made it very difficult to figure out where to go. They also said they believed the organizer when he said the crash hadn't occured at high speed because the road was terrible and very confusing. There are also reports that the guys waited for the ambulance and authorities to arrive before they hopped into another car.

Reject
05-08-2007, 01:59 PM
with money you can pay ppl what to see and not to see. i dont know about the GPS thing though, this is the Gumball after all... they're not given maps until the very last second right before they are released

FL THRTL
05-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Yea, I dunno. Guess the driver got arrested again too. I just don't know what to say. This page has lots of info on the situation: http://jalopnik.com/cars/death-in-macedonia/

Vendetta
05-08-2007, 04:14 PM

Do you make jokes of them, too?

Have some respect, two people are dead.

BAD ASS TA WS6
05-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Do you make jokes of them, too?

Have some respect, two people are dead.

I don't see any jokes in the thread. Get off my ass.

JUICED96Z
05-09-2007, 03:34 AM
Porsches are built strong. The Germans make strong SAFE cars.

Same for Benz and BMW.

They are made to protect the driver at high speeds. Most american cars are not.

Hondas are not built to be in wrecks at 100mph+.