Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

I hate hydraulic clutches!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I hate hydraulic clutches!!!

Today i spent almost 8 hours doing a clutch install on my car and got it done with no problems. So i take it out to drive for the first time and everything was going good. All of a sudden about five miles in to my stop and go driving the clutch stuck to the floor and there was fluid pissing out the bottom of the car. Its coming from between the bell housing and engine. If i pour fluid in it just runs right through. Any ideas what this could be? It's a stock replacement LS6 clutch with a new AC Delco slave cylinder. The slave did come with a new o ring and some kind of bearing but i did not put it in becasue i did not take one out. I have no idea what it is for. I'm so pissed right now so if anyone could offer any help i will appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

Derek
Old 05-05-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm in the middle of bleeding my new clutch after putting it all in, The bleed screw on the NEW slave might not be tightened all the way down. You have to jack up the car and get a 1/4 ratched and a 11mm socket to get to it. Damn bleeding this bitch is taking my and my friend forever
Old 05-05-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

mine pissed fluid when the slave went bad
Old 05-05-2007, 09:46 PM
wrencher

Sounds like the slave went blew out from your description.
Have seen a damaged bellhousing or a mis aligned one cause slave to go out as well.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Well my father looked in there a little bit ago and by the by the looks of thingst he slave pushed through the forks of the pressure plate. So now it seems i have a real big problem on my hands. I don't know how the hell I'm going to get it off. I hate this ****.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:07 PM
wrencher

That sucks, your just going to have to force it apart. There both junk now
Old 05-06-2007, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Well i got in there today and got it apart. The bearing broke and the slave seemed to blow. Of course no local parts store had one so i had to put the old back in for now. This is just my luck but the car seems to be driving fine now so hopefully everything will be ok. Thanks guys for all your advice.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

oh man , mine did the same thing 2 days ago, i recently added a new ram adj master w/ drill mod (pretty sure thats what caused it to blow lol.. i really hope i didnt run into your scenario! i ordered a new GM 01-02 slave from BYUNSPEED so itll be here monday or tuesday! it was a mcleod slave that i had for 1 1/2 years.. figured it'd last longer than that...
Old 05-06-2007, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wrencher
Sounds like the slave went blew out from your description.
Have seen a damaged bellhousing or a mis aligned one cause slave to go out as well.

how can you misalign a bellhousing? arent there little dowels that help line it up?
Old 05-06-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dowels are there to line it up, and the height of the dowles is what centers the input to the pilot. They basically do what a dial indicator used to do for centering the bellhousing.

Alignment can be messed up if the bellhousing isn't mated all the way, or some people put too much antisieze in the holes and they don't quite bottom out. Also it's not unheard of for them to go missing, although I don't see how you could accidently do that cause they're in so tight.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:50 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by Mike44138
The dowels are there to line it up, and the height of the dowles is what centers the input to the pilot. They basically do what a dial indicator used to do for centering the bellhousing.

Alignment can be messed up if the bellhousing isn't mated all the way, or some people put too much antisieze in the holes and they don't quite bottom out. Also it's not unheard of for them to go missing, although I don't see how you could accidently do that cause they're in so tight.
Exactly, have also seen them get damaged when the 'sieze' to the block & dowels. sometimes the first removal they are really on there.
They get pry'd off & tweeked in the process.
Then when bolted back up it is not exactly perfect anymore
Thats new bell time then.

Quick Reply: I hate hydraulic clutches!!!