General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Gas prices and new muscle cars.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas prices and new muscle cars.

With gas prices set to hit $4.00 a gallon by summer, do you guys think all these new muscle cars coming out ( 430hp vette, challenger, camaro, special mustangs ) will still sell good? I'm amazed people still buy trucks/SUVs these days to be honest ( talking about people who just like the way they look and think there cool, not people who buy them as utility vehicles ).
Old 05-05-2007, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

They will definately sell. There are too many rich people in the world that have to have that fast car, and there are too many people like me, who have the deep love for the LSx engines that I will totally disreguard fuel economy for the rest of my life for this engine, not to mention the fact that most fuel systems are getting so advanced that fuel economy isnt too terribley bad with these engines, a car will 300 whp with the possibility of getting 34mpg on the highway is by no means bad, and is totally worth it IMO.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I will let the Eco-Hippies save their gas, for me.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ghardester
Old 05-05-2007, 10:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by ghardester
I like that, and I agree.

Gas prices don't stop me from buying the weekend toys that I like. But I do keep a gas friendly car around for my long daily commute.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:37 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Displacement on Demand will help to even a lot of this out , economical when used moderately but power when you want it! And the econobox builders like Honda , Toyota and Nissan will never build anything comparable to good ol' American muscle no matter how many turbos they stick on 'em.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:00 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by badjuju342
And the econobox builders like Honda , Toyota and Nissan will never build anything comparable to good ol' American muscle no matter how many turbos they stick on 'em.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:14 AM
TECH Addict

IDK about you but if I can afford to buy a 35-50 K car new then im not goin to worry about gas prices, and I mean most of these "new muscle" cars get around an average of 20ish MPG and that really isnt that bad, I know my camaro gets 30 highway, unless you go honda or toyota 1.5 liter your not goin to get that outa alot of cars on the market such as SUV's trucks and even mid size cars like a grand prix
Old 05-06-2007, 02:16 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
and I mean most of these "new muscle" cars get around an average of 20ish MPG and that really isnt that bad, I know my camaro gets 30 highway, unless you go honda or toyota 1.5 liter your not goin to get that outa alot of cars on the market such as SUV's trucks and even mid size cars like a grand prix

My 2.73 A4 LS1 actually gets about the same or better mpg as my 3.8L Monte Carlo, depending on how I drive.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if gas prices dont stabilize then yes its going to discourage certain buyers from buying musclecars and SUVs ect.

i want a new camaro badly and it probably wont stop me but it will change other peoples minds. at least a v6 option is being offered.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Default Not a concern at all

Wrong site for this question. I think we would all own the same cars even if we were only able to get 10 mpg. I would! With insurance and everything sky high, costing hundreds of dollars EXTRA each year, I would gladly pay a few hundred each year for gasoline FOR MYSELF so I could enjoy an important part of my life. So no, gasoline will NOT be a factor in the new muscle car sales. The overall retail price of the car is going to be the factor. GM simply ignores the past fact that very few F-bodies sold in the final few years of production. Why will it be different this time than in '01-'02? Once the few thousand people buy their new Camaros, then who is going to buy them at $35-$40k? Sounds like history repeating to me.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badjuju342
Displacement on Demand will help to even a lot of this out , economical when used moderately but power when you want it! And the econobox builders like Honda , Toyota and Nissan will never build anything comparable to good ol' American muscle no matter how many turbos they stick on 'em.
I can't see Displacement on Demand engines going into vettes, the new camaro and the new challenger. When you think about vettes, camaros, TA's, challengers, etc they all had a simple (no thrills or gadgets) v8 powerplants with good suspension, and good looks. Fuel Economy is not high on the want list if you decide on buying a new muscle or sports car. The D.O.D. engines are more suited to daily drivers like trucks, SUV's, and mid-to large size sedans, not sports cars and muscle cars.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

I can't see DOD/MDS becoming available on the "true" American sportscars/musclecars,(Corvettes,Camaros,Mustangs).
To me, it just seem like a sportscar/musclecar if that is the case. A sportscar/musclecar should have all of it's "displacement" avaliable ALL OF THE TIME!!!
Just my opinion though.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Actually I see Displacement on Demand as a very positive thing for these muscle cars, it will allow companies like GM to feasibly continue to bild more and more power while still meeting fuel economy requirements. Besides I have driven one of the dod impalas and the power is always available and the 4 cylinder mode only turns on during cruise or very light throttle conditions, To me I believe that it is a way for GM to build a very simple gas saving method without going hybrid.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:56 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 00midnightz
Actually I see Displacement on Demand as a very positive thing for these muscle cars, it will allow companies like GM to feasibly continue to bild more and more power while still meeting fuel economy requirements. Besides I have driven one of the dod impalas and the power is always available and the 4 cylinder mode only turns on during cruise or very light throttle conditions, To me I believe that it is a way for GM to build a very simple gas saving method without going hybrid.
Yes, but what will it sound like in 4 cyl mode with an aftermarket exhaust? Honestly I've never heard any of the LS4 cars without the stock exhaust so I really have no idea. But frankly, I could give a rats *** about the extra fuel economy if my muscle car has to sound like a 2.2L Ecotec to get it.

Furthermore, I imagine that doing something like a cam swap on a DOD motor would create a world of tuning nightmares trying to get the thing to run properly afterward.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Do the DOD engine have an option to switch between 4 and 8 cylinders all the time? Or is it always light throttle = 4 / heavy throttle = 8?
Old 05-06-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dod depends on the amount of throttle your giving it
Old 05-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Teching In

who cares about gas. thats the LAST thing to consider when driving such cars. Like the day we went to look at my car b4 buying it, my dad asks the guy "so im guessing this is killing you on gas" the guy goes "gas was the last thing that came into consideration when i bought this car." If ur worried about gas prices, drive a civic or a hybrid. Sure i wish i could pour regular, or the prices came down $.50 or so, but knowing i can break my tires loose, lay down 2 black sheets of rubber hundreds of feet long and let the back end kick out in 2nd makes me forget about gas prices.
But to answer ur question- yeah the people who think paying nearly $4.00 a gallon on a car in which they spent over $70k for will. But the smarter people who know that if they can buy the car in the first place, and mod it could care less about gas prices.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Teching In

True Guys, the exhaust on those ls4's always sound pretty badass even stock, 4 cylinder mode would be on in conditions in which your exhaust tone wouldn't hardly be loud enough to worry about, the fact of the matter is that without ways such as dod their would very likely never be anymore musclecars built whether it be a camaro or a challenger or a mustang, the UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT mandates these cars to meet mileage ratings. Now if it takes a sometimes ecotec sound and a little tuning inconvenience(which has been an issue every time efi has changed over the years and it always gets figured out shortly) to make it possible for us to get 400 hp beautiful new musclecars right off the showroom floor won't you be wiling to compromise rather than have all the cars we love die off because we are stuck in our ways.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Teching In

I also forgot to mention, that I am not positive on this but I believe after reading about the gxp grand prix performance mods on one of their forums(just to educate my self a little) a while back, tuners already have the capability of tuning out the dod when you mod the car if you dont want it. Guys the GM computer is by far one of the most tunable engine management systems out there including the aftermarket so any problems like that can be tuned out. Going by the power GM has created over the years especially in our engines, those guys want power just as bad as we do they just happen to have to pass some standards before they can throw these motors in cars.