General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Airbag replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag replacement help

Hey
I was in an accident a couple weeks ago where both airbags were delpoyed. We just finished fixing the front of the car, but now that it comes time to fix the airbags, I dont know much about them.

Are there any sites that might have a helpful walkthrough or anything on them?
Also what do I have to replace, obviously the 2 airbags and clockspring, will I have to replace the module too? And will I have to drop the steering column and take apart the whole dash to fix the passenger side airbag and get to the module.
My last question is if the only sensor is inertia based and in the module, or are there actual sensors on the front of the car, I didnt see any sensors while the car was apart.

I appreciate any help someone can give me
Old 05-06-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You have to replace both bags naturally. The driverside clockspring in the column and the airbag Derm module located under the center console bolted to the floor. After that is replaced you will be back in business.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As for the pass side bag, the entire dash will need to come out, and be disassembled to replace the bag. It is a large job, best to pull the steering column out at the same time.

Once all the bags and SDM "Sensing deployment Module" are replaced you more than likely have the airbag light on. You will need to head to the dealer, or someone with a Tech II, to have the SDM reset to the PCM and IP panel. Dealer hit me up for 60.00 for this, took them 20mins.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Once the sdm or derm module is replaced the airbag light will automatically reset. The cluster is unaffected since the airbag light is sent to the ip cluster via the class 2 serial data.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it did not for me, I could clear the code and turn off the light. But on the next key-on cycle-power up it came back. My case must of been different, replaced IP, BMC, SDM were never together. Complete rebuild from scratch.