LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New 355 pqrt 2. Running rough. Will the drama ever end?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default New 355 pqrt 2. Running rough. Will the drama ever end?

Got my engine back in. It started right up and ran what seemed to be good at idle but I did not drive it. Got the rest of the car back together and washed the engine down but tried to avoid spraying the opti. Plugs and wires did get fairly wet. I have got to wrap this thing up, wife is getting seriously pissed.

The engine would not fire at all and even backfired a couple times violently. It took a ton of craning but about 2 hours later it fired up and drove but it is definitely missing.

Here is a list of the problematic things I noticed and my questions.
1. When I was cranking, and cranking and cranking and not getting it to run, all of a sudden the sound of the cranking changed to a different kind of sound. It made more noise when you turned the key back from the start position. It also appeared to turn more easily. I know the starter was very hot from all the cranking. I turned the balancer by hand and everything was still tight and there are no signs or sounds of breakage. Did the starter just do something funky to make a different sound?
What could have caused this?

2. Once in closed loop at idle (cell 16) the left BLM is 128 and the right is 150+. The right O2 voltage seams to be bouncing up and down and the left one is steady around 430 or so.
What would cause this.

3. I made a timing pointer and put a timing time on the balancer at the recommendation of the engine builder. When using the timing light I am seeing inconsistencies on the timing marks for some plug and not others. The plugs are brand new AC Delcos and the wires are MSD and have worked well for me in the past.
What would cause this?

4. Can all of these problems be related to wet ignition?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Washed your engine, Ah dude what were you thinkin. I did that once and never again. I will hand polish first.

Well what is, is.

As far as the O2. I am having that same problem right now. I tried everything that I was told to check and still did not find the problem. It is in the mechanics hands now.

I can tell you this I was getting 10mpg because of it. The PCM thinks it is lean and richens up that bank!

Here is everything I was told and what to check.
It is mechanical (even mechanic agrees)
1. Exhaust leak - header gasket, egr, collector check em all
2. Intake leak - seal, injector o-rings, vacuum tubes
3. bad injector
4. Bad O2 or wire.

#3 is the most unlikely. It can even make it seam like it is missing. Find this problem first and fix it. Likely it will solve some of your others.

Good Luck,

Quick Reply: New 355 pqrt 2. Running rough. Will the drama ever end?