LT1 _Edit for OBDII
25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LT1 Tuners inside

Old 05-06-2007, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LT1 Tuners inside

ok guys i want some opinions. i dont wanna keep sending my pcm out everytime i want it tuned. so in your opinions would i be better off ordering LT1 edit just for my pcm, or switching to an OBDI setup and using tunercat or another program.

also which is more cost effective? i havent seen any prices for tunercat but ive seen LT1 edit is about $425 for one pcm i believe.

i was gonna wait and see if hptuners would make an obdII program but that doesnt seem like its gonna happen.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dyno tune by a good tuner, if you have that option.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redcamaro
dyno tune by a good tuner, if you have that option.
well yes, but that would still present the same problem he wanted to avoid (having to go back to a tuner for subsequent changes)

As to the options, converting to obd1 will probably be the cheapest (tunercat is around $90, plus the cost to convert ($250 or so). But also you really need a datalogging program to tune yourself. You can get datamaster for around $100 but the only good one I know of for lt1 obd2 is autotap enhanced which is around 300 I believe.

Depending on what the application is there can be some downsides to that approach though, like for example it is much easier to pass emissions with obd2.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:58 AM
12 Second Club

emissions are a problem.

and 96redcamaro i dont have a lt1 dyno tuner (for OBDII anyway) in the area. unless i buy lt1 edit.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:08 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to consider Jet DST as an OBD2 tuning solution also. It's basically tunercat for OBD2 and the cost is similar to LT1 Edit. You can also purchase MXscan for data logging, which uses the DST hardware interface for about $80. That's the setup I'm running, and it's been getting the job done so far. One nice feature of the DST is the analog inputs, so you can log data from additional sensors. I use a wideband O2 sensor on one of the analog inputs.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out the impalassforum, they have the outline to convert a OBD1 pcm to work in place of your obd2. it cost me $42 which included buying a OBD pcm from a junk yard and the resister I needed. works like a charm and I was able to use my OBD1 tunercat so???are. the only thing you want to make sure you get right is the inerface cable. I think I went to AKM cables for mine but make sure they know its a OBD2 plug going through an OBD1 PCM.

I was in the same place you are and this was the best option.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:21 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Guess i just send mine out, but i am nothing but stock really, so the occasional tune is no biggie...
Old 05-08-2007, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

before you send it out, look at the prices and compare. you can mod the obd1 PCM to work in your car. buy the cable and buy tunercat. those are one time up front costs. now I imagine you plan on doing a few things to your car in the future so for every mod you do instead of sending your pcm out and having the car down for 3-5 days you can have them email it to you as an update. Most email updates are cheaper than if you sent them the PCM. You dont have to do any tuning yourself if you dont want to but getting to know how the car works is priceless. theres alot of info out there on how to tune, get a wideband and its becomes alot easier.

And another thing, they can get you a MUCH better tune if they had a data log, so if youw ant it closer than just there best guess your going to need to get the cable anyway. so now its just the cost of the tuning so???are to load the bin file and about 15 mins of your time modifying a OBD1 pcm to work in your car.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

If you have to pass emissions and will have a non-emissions legal setup I would seriously think about keeping obd2 (depending on what the requirements are for 1 to pass in your area).
Old 05-12-2007, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

keep the obd2

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 Tuners inside