LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car seems hard to start...but then does.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car seems hard to start...but then does.

Noticed this after letting the car sit overnight, I'll come out in the morning go to fire it up, and it just cranks. I can tell it's trying to start but just won't turn over...but if I just keep trying to start it will turn over and is fine the rest of the day. Even after letting it sit while I'm at work, it seems like it has the same symptoms but will start on first try.

Opti is brand new Delco, battery and alt. are good, could it be the Coil and ICM?

Any Ideas?

Thanks,

~Bryan
Old 05-07-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

opti... damn opti
Old 05-07-2007, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

replace fuel filter and plugs and do a fuel pressure test. I did this and it ended up being my fuel pump. If the car was warm it started right up and car ran fine. after sitting for more than 3-4 hours the car would take longer and longer to start up almost to the point where it did not start up. Fuel pump got louder and louder and with new filter i was at 34 psi of fuel pressure at idle. Ideal is 43-47 PSI.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it's your damn check valve in the pump. Mine did the SAME thing when it was cold. I just changed my Fuel pump with a Racetronix kit and we are golden runs and starts PERFECT. that'd be my bet....
Old 05-08-2007, 01:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

also if you do the pump get the Racetronix plug and play harness. The install was SO easy it was almost surprising. And unless you love an extra 3-5 hours of work, do the trap door when you install the pump. i thought it worked awesome and saved me alot of time on the floor. It took me 3.5 hours from start to finish MINUS the 3 hours to let the sealant set up before i put the bucket in the tank...
Old 05-08-2007, 11:08 AM
12 Second Club

Yes I will say its the pump to. Mine had the same symptoms I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and found on the first prime it would not build pressure hince the no start. I replaced the pump with a Walbro 255 and it works awsome now no more 3-4 cranks in the morning to get it to start. The whole process took about 30-45 min to do. Pretty easy.

Derek
Old 05-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Teching In

I should have mentioned in the first post, that it's getting plenty of fuel. Also, the fuel filter is brand new. I don't think it's the pump, b/c when I'm cranking it you can defintely smell fuel. Hence why I'm thinking it's ignition related and to rule out the opti, it did this before I replaced it, and doesn't have any misses throught the powerband, whether cruising or WOT.

So what else?
Old 05-08-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

mine was doing the exact same thing,I replaced the plugs and wires when I installed my LTs and it hasnt done it since,maybe one of your wires is bad
Old 05-08-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I say check the pressure at start up...just because you smell fuel doesnt mean a whole lot...do some checking first before you do alot of work that may not be the problem.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a the wire from the coil to the opti arcing on the water hose clamp. someties it would be close enogh to arc, someitmes not. so it would start and run fine, unti li turned it off, then out with the problems again....so im about to get a new set of plug wires

Quick Reply: Car seems hard to start...but then does.