Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default trans problems

I have a 2000 vette m6. The car has a B&M shifter and ls7 clutch ls2 flywheel with about 3000 miles on them. I drove the car last night and it was fine. I took it out today and it won't go into 1st or 2nd peacefully. Ususally happens when I'm sitting at a light. I go to put it in 1st and it grinds and pops out....so i tried 2nd and same thing. Doesn't do it all of the time....but most of the time. So is the shifter out of adjustment or is it something in the trans or are the hydraulics in my clutch gone to hell? What do I do?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:37 PM
12 Second Club

most likely blocker rings, or your 1-2 slider. or possibly a shift fork.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:21 AM
On The Tree

I'm no trans guy...but here is what I did. I wanted to start with the most obvious so I figured the shifter is a good place. I didn't think it was anything internal because it doesn't have a problem when it's already moving so it can't be the forks or the synchros. Never grinded a gear until today. So I took the center console off to get to the shifter....I looked around and everything looked normal. I found two torx bolts that were loose that I think go to the linkage so I tightened them down. They were barely finger tight. I checked the bolts on the shifter base and everything checked out. So I put it back together and took it for a drive and it's running perfect. No grinds, no popping out, no weird shifts. So I think the problem was either the loose bolts or (if possible) there are lines in the hydraulics that are swelling in the humidity and making it misbehave. Hopefully I have it solved. We'll see what happens again tomorrow when the temp goes back up.

Quick Reply: trans problems