Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smaller alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smaller alternator?

I may have to notch my crossmember for the alternator, and I really don't want to do that. Is there a comparable alternator that is smaller in diameter and maybe shorter? I can make my own bracket, so I am not really worried about that, but I am concerned if it will function with the factory pcm. Any ideas?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:51 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You do not necessarily have to interface the PCM with the alternator. Since you are talking about crossmember clearance I am guessing that you are using f-body brackets. If it is a 98 PCM it does not interface with the alt at all. If it is 99+ at the most you would have to have a couple of codes deleted. As long as the alternator is big enough to keep the battery charged the PCM will be happy. I don`t have any recommendations for a smaller alt. How about switching to truck accys? that would move the alt to the top and the PS pump to the bottom. The PS pump is shorter and should fit. If you have hood clearance that might be a solution.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, G-body. I just bought the f-body brackets because I hate the alternator being up high, so if I have to notch the crossmember, so be it. The engine compartment has to look clean, at all costs, you know?
Old 05-09-2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by cvman
The engine compartment has to look clean, at all costs, you know?
Oh I know that pain, when I first put the engine in I didn`t have an A/C compressor and didn`t want to notch the k member............I decided I would build a bracket and mount it up top............so I built the bracket. By the time I was done I really didn`t want it up top because it cluttered the top of the engine...........oh well........so then I found out that they didn`t make a belt that would fit, 1" too short or 2.5" too long. There was no way for me to use a different size pulley anywhere, but I figured I could probably just add another idler...............decided there were too many compromises, so I will be pulling the motor out in a couple weeks to notch the k member . Oh well at least it will make the cam swap easier

Moral of the story:
Don`t take a shortcut on the first time, or you`ll kick yourself later
Old 05-09-2007, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

That's why I am trying to convince the wife to pad the coffer a little more I don't want those headaches after the fact. I know that more money spent now equals less problems in the future. Is that what the crossmember under the engine is called, the K member, or is that only for your body?
Old 05-09-2007, 11:15 PM

On all the full frame cars/trucks the crossmember under the engine is called the K member (I guess it does kinda resemble the shape of a K laid down probably where the name came from?)

On unibody cars they just call it a subframe.

Quick Reply: Smaller alternator?