Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Sdce???

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sdce???

So mechanically, whats different from the stock ATI tensioner and the SDCE setup besides the different pulley/bearing combo. They're meant to eliminate belt slip, but how do they accomplish this?

Is it just a stiffer spring, or does it not have one at all?

My reason for asking is this; A local Mustang guy showed me how he got rid of belt slip with his D1sc setup. He drilled/tapped a hole through the spring housing part of the tensioner arm and put a bolt through it. This basically joined the base to the arm and made the spring inoperable. Then he cranked it down tight. No more belt slip. But he HAS trashed more than a few of the stock tensioner pulley's bearings since doing this and the pulley looks like its getting worn down by the belt.

I can have a new tensioner pulley and bearing setup made no problem, would modifying the tensioner arm/base this way cause any other issues you guys can think of?

Just trying to weigh my options to alleviate some of the belt slip at least temporarily.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:29 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is the opposite. The ATI does not have a spring tensioner at all. The SDCE does have a spring loaded tensioner. I'm not sure what you are talking about. Maybe the truck onesare different from the f-body ones tho
Old 05-09-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

My LT1 D1sc kit is spring tensioned for sure... But its there more as a cushion than anything. The spring allows the arm to move independently from the base (round part) and the base is adjusted to pre-load the sprung arm against the belt. The 'nut and bolt' style adjustment pivots the base which then gets locked down. After that the only movement is done by the arm and controlled by the spring.

Last edited by Fire67; 05-10-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

So is it like Chevy Chad says for you LS1 F and Y car owners as well or is that a truck only deal?