Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Remove swirls, or just covering up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Remove swirls, or just covering up?

I searched, sorry I know very little about paint.
I was wondering if buffing actually removes the swirls from your paint, or just covers them up?

Last edited by JD_AMG; 05-09-2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-09-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the correct swirl cutter it will remove the swirls. Not cover them up
Old 05-09-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

ah, thank you.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

yes it will remove them by heating the clearcoat up and smoothing things out, but be careful b/c you could **** up your paint if you dont know what your doing.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
yes it will remove them by heating the clearcoat up and smoothing things out, but be careful b/c you could **** up your paint if you dont know what your doing.
Ok, I was wondering how exactly it worked...
I figured I could mess the paint up, dont really plan on doing it any time soon (or maybe not myself, rather taking it to get done). I was just wondering if was even worth it, because if they would just come back after a wash its pointless IMO.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've never heard of a buffer that heats up the paint to remove swirls because I know my PC sure as hell doesn't A buffer with a swirl cutting pad and abrassive polish removes a layer of clear coat to remove swirls. That's why they say it's possible to buff to much and go straight through the clear and into the paint.

The clear coat GM put on these cars is EXTREMELY hard and it's actually really tough to mess anything up in the paint. As long as you don't round edges or buff trim pieces, windshield cowl, or put your buffer on high speed you shouldn't have any problem.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:56 PM
TECH Addict

it doesnt heat up the paint, it sort of heats up the clearcoat to smooth it out and get rid of the swirls.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
it doesnt heat up the paint, it sort of heats up the clearcoat to smooth it out and get rid of the swirls.
Are you sure about this??? Definitely not what I've read
Old 05-09-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

the compound works like very fine sandpaper and the friction from the buffer polishes everything up. It does get hot just buff a little piece and put your hand over it imidiately and you will feel it warm.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Ok, I was wondering how exactly it worked...
I figured I could mess the paint up, dont really plan on doing it any time soon (or maybe not myself, rather taking it to get done). I was just wondering if was even worth it, because if they would just come back after a wash its pointless IMO.
You can mess it up by doing it yourself if you use the wrong tools, or products. If you use a DA and the correct swirl cutter .. you won't have a problem. If you take a high speed buffer to the paint, then damage can occur pretty fast if you don't know what you are doing.

As for the swirls coming back .. you have to identify what is causing the swirls in the first place. usually that is poor washing and or drying techniques. so if you don't change that, then yes, you will get new swirls (the old ones won't come back, as the DA will remove them)
Old 05-10-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

actually buffing with compound is what usually creats your swirls as can other stuff.... but the grit in the compound creats them as it takes away other imperfections such as scraches and contaminents.... the polishes and swirl cutters is what takes the swirls out... and yes you do warm the clear to let the chemicals cut better into it... it doesnt necessarily melt it.... tho.... you can buff straint through because the grit in the compound or if you hold it in one spot too long it will melt throught the clear ontoo the base...

Quick Reply: Remove swirls, or just covering up?