Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

replacing only head unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing only head unit

If I replace only my head unit and get a unit for the steering wheel controls but keep all of the stock speakers and amp would it mess up the sound? I heard that if you dont replace everything then a new head unit will make the speakers sound bad. Its a 2000 camaro, and I want to get probably an alpine or panasonic head unit
Old 05-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a panasonic head unit and didnt replace the speakers - everything sounds fine. Better than fine, the sound is actually improved with the new head unit. I have no idea why you'd think that a new head unit would ruin your sound quality.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

o, thanks. I just was told that the monsoon speakers had something on them where they were pretty much proprietry only for a monsoon head unit. I guess i was misinformed.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Launching!

What you might be thinking of is that the F-Body speakers are 2 ohm while most speakers are 4 ohm and it's not that they're incompatible with aftermarket head units - it's that aftermarket speakers arent compatible with the factory setup sometimes.

There are exceptions to the rule and i'm no expert but that's how I understand it.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Monsoon powers all the speakers except the tweeters. Those are powered from the HU. Replacing the HU is plug in play and will sound 100x better than the Delco HU.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

o i gotcha the 2 and 4 ohms was wat he was talking about i think. so monsoon and everything else i wont even have to screw w/. I think im gunna go w/ an alpine and find a unit for it that makes it work w/ the steering wheel controls
Old 05-09-2007, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

i pushed the tune button on my stocker the other day and it got pushed into the stereo. I could prolly fix it but its so lame and ghetto. That made me decide to get an aftermarket lol.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are looking at an Alpine, make sure it has the steering wheel control input on the backside of the HU. You will still need the PAC SWI-ALP to adapt the HU to the steering wheel controls. Otherwise, the PAC SWI-X adapter will need to be used with a HU with no steering wheel controls input.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jeff00z28
i pushed the tune button on my stocker the other day and it got pushed into the stereo. I could prolly fix it but its so lame and ghetto. That made me decide to get an aftermarket lol.
Haha if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, thats perfectly normal. Thats the theftlock feature of the radio, it's supposed to do that.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blacker
If you are looking at an Alpine, make sure it has the steering wheel control input on the backside of the HU. You will still need the PAC SWI-ALP to adapt the HU to the steering wheel controls. Otherwise, the PAC SWI-X adapter will need to be used with a HU with no steering wheel controls input.
Make sure the PAC SWI-ALP is compatiable with your alpine unit. Cause it dosent work on all models.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

If I replace only my head unit and get a unit for the steering wheel controls but keep all of the stock speakers and amp would it mess up the sound? I heard that if you dont replace everything then a new head unit will make the speakers sound bad. Its a 2000 camaro, and I want to get probably an alpine or panasonic head unit

You got it all wrong bud it's the POS monsoon speakers that will make it sound like ****, not the aftermarket HU.
Just don't crank it high and you'll be aight.
Good choice in HU brah you can't go wrong w/ALPINE.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:50 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Need to clear up a couple of things here...

Originally Posted by Blacker
The Monsoon powers all the speakers except the tweeters. Those are powered from the HU.
Only on the Firebird coupe. Camaro coupes and all models of convertibles power all speaker elements (including tweeters) from the Monsoon amp.

Originally Posted by Gallstaff
Haha if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, thats perfectly normal. Thats the theftlock feature of the radio, it's supposed to do that.
Yes, the ***** push in to get them out of the way but it has nothing to do with TheftLock. TheftLock is the feature that allows the owner to set a passcode that will prevent the radio from working after being removed until the code is re-entered.

Originally Posted by Kage
You got it all wrong bud it's the POS monsoon speakers that will make it sound like ****, not the aftermarket HU.
No, there is nothing wrong with the sound of the factory speakers. The problem with factory speakers is that they don't last long. This is a combination of damage from the distortion of the factory head unit and the cheap materials used in their construction. Replacing the head unit is the best thing you can do to make the speakers last longer. In fact, you can crank up an aftermarket head unit (with its clean signal) much more than stock without worrying about the speakers. However, they won't last forever anyway - the cheap materials will rot over time and eventually you'll have a speaker that just crumbles in your hand. At that point they sound pretty bad.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

thx any1 have one they recommend? I will be plugging an ipod into it w/ the ipod chord and getting the steering wheel controls unit. If panasonic has one w/ all of the features i need i might get panasonic since they have cooler screens.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

im gunna get a panasonic since all the alpines are so plain-looking. Any1 use the PAC SWI-X adapter? All it says is that it works w/ panasonic it doesnt say which models. I was hoping to order this tonight. Any1 know of a list of models it works with?
The SWI-X will work with any Panasonic (and for that matter, most other makes) that has an infrared remote.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Kage
Just don't crank it high and you'll be aight.
Good choice in HU brah you can't go wrong w/ALPINE.
Yea I agree with Kage. I put a new headunit in my TA and it sounds good. You just cant push the moonsoon speakers very hard. You can't go wrong with aftermarket speakers and a whole different setup. I love infinity speakers and thats what is going in mine. I am going to rewire it all and install a Rocksford fosgate amp and a sub. I want to be able to push my system and get the cleaniest sound I can out of it without the lost of performance. I know it can get pricey but who cares. It's my toy, so why not You know it's a dang muscle/sports car and i want it to jam as good as it runs...lol
Old 05-11-2007, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

thx any1 have one they recommend? I will be plugging an ipod into it w/ the ipod chord and getting the steering wheel controls unit. If panasonic has one w/ all of the features i need i might get panasonic since they have cooler screens.
Yea take a look into some alpines and see if you like em. Everyone has their own opions on what they like....lol I love pioneers but I am not big on the new ones. Alpines look better in my car and they are simple to use. But again go for what you like and do some research on em before u buy.