Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Vibration in 6th when decelerating?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vibration in 6th when decelerating?

I was cruising around the other day, everything fine, then right before I got home I noticed a vibration in 6th gear whenever I let off the throttle. Took the car out today, and it was fine initially. After about 15 miles, it started again, ONLY in 6th gear and decelerating. Anyone have any suggestions/answers????
Old 05-09-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See if it does itt decelerating in neutral with either the clutch pushed in or out. That'll help determine if it's wheels, diff, driveshaft, trans internals, pp/flywheel, or engine. I'd guess it's probably not just a 6th gear thing as much as it is a given speed or RPM. You just have to figure out what rotating mass isn't balanced.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

I had that same issue and it disappeared when I replaced a pair of BAD carrier bearings while swapping out my 4.10 gears for 3.73's. My bearings were VISIBLY bad and had a few that were chewed up pretty good. I am not 100% sure that -was- the issue seeing I swapped out gears at the same time, but I am pretty sure it was the bad bearings that caused my vibration while decelerating. This would make sense in your case as well seeing it seems to do it after they heat up.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:33 PM
10 Second Club

Took the car out today and noticed the vibration in both neutral and 6th above 55 mph. Also, nothing has been changed in the driveline in the last year, and this vibration just started.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely cluprit would be some uneven wear on the tires or possibly a bent or extremely dirty rim. I'd pull the tires, clean the wheels well (especially on the inside), and if it persists have the wheels rebalanced. I actually had a crack in a spoke of one of my rims that I didn't realize was there until I started getting vibration around 50-60 mph.

Quick Reply: Vibration in 6th when decelerating?