General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

squeeking tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeeking tensioner?

Okay I have had all my belts replaced and it hasn't fixed my squeek, it squeeks all the time and it doesn't matter if it is warmed up. Could someone please show me what a tensioner looks like and is it something that autozone or oreilys sells?
I am so pissed off right now, this car squeeks so bad that people give me dirty looks and nothing has stopped the squeek.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well the 99 cars had a tech-bulletin on them and it runs down to possibly you ac pulley or tensioner setup are the usual culprits...mine does it sometimes and i got new belts put them on myself probably going to replace all my pulley and stuff soon so thats how im going to deal with it lol
Old 05-10-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tensioner is the highest pulley you see on the left side (looking at the engine from the front of the car). The pulley itself is plastic, the tensioner arm is spring loaded. That would be the thing you are manipulating to remove & reinstall the serpentine belt, so you most likely have already had your hands on it already.

You also might want to consider the metal idler pulley (right hand side, middle of engine, not attached to anything but the block). Those also have a tendency to go bad and make a lot of noise.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Launching!

most part stores carry tensioner but they might not carry ones for f-bodys
Old 05-11-2007, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

its your a/c tensioner. i replace them all the time.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:36 AM
Teching In

I think I may have a similar problem.

The sound i am hearing is very difficult for me to describe.

It isn't exactly a squeak. It is more along the lines of a vibration, and almost a hissing sound (almost like an old man laughing with a dried up throat). I almost wonder if it could be some bearing working away without enough lube.

I hear it much better if i put my head under the front of the passenger side front wheel well.

Could this be the AC tensioner?
Old 06-04-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Karde
I think I may have a similar problem.

The sound i am hearing is very difficult for me to describe.

It isn't exactly a squeak. It is more along the lines of a vibration, and almost a hissing sound (almost like an old man laughing with a dried up throat). I almost wonder if it could be some bearing working away without enough lube.

I hear it much better if i put my head under the front of the passenger side front wheel well.

Could this be the AC tensioner?
I am also having the same exact noise from the passeger side front wheel well and can also hear from under hood, almost sounds like metal lightly rubbing on something. I was told my 2 tensioners need to get replaced. Does that sound correct? I also posted a reply/question about this in the newb section under "fan belt problem" subject.