Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tapping from top of motor...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tapping from top of motor...

I got my car tuned today and my tuner said that that tapping me be a lifter going bad... I've read somewhere that if a 6sp car was over revved at some point it would cause that... i'm the 3rd owner of the car and god knows what what done to the car before i had it... cause when i bought it looked pretty stock with a chokemaster muffler, then as i started reading about nitrous the car already has a fuel safety swith and a manual full throttle swith... the car was dyno and it put down a normal amount 309 pretty much stock.... but anyways if it is a lifter how hard are they to change?
Old 05-10-2007, 12:00 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just cammed my car and I have the same problem. I've never done one on an ls1 but Im sure it is as fun as all the other ones!
Old 05-10-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

damn that sucks... ahh damn, it does it sometimes but doesn't do at other times... I hate these cars, the engine bay is so damn small and the those black rivet things under the cowl cut the **** out of the top of my arms!!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 01:04 AM
Teching In

well bro, I hope your lifter is not going bad, it was probably my post you saw about the bad lifter, turns out it was a push rod that was failing, and did fully fail. yea from what I have read the push rods are a weak link in our motors. btw you have to pull the heads to change lifters. good luck man!
Old 05-10-2007, 01:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok then i really hope its not a lifter!!!! was yours tapping from time to time? cause i really hope its a pushrod instead!!!

Last edited by Emoney97ss; 05-10-2007 at 01:53 AM.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

my car was tapping and it was down on power. Guess what it ended up to be? A sparkplug wire was not double clicked on coil.

fwiw..I'd either make sure you have a double click on each spark plug wire to coil and plug or maybe buy a set of wires and start fresh.

Could be puc came off the plug to so maybe swap them first.

Just throwing out ideas that sometimes the answer lies in the small details..

(I really thought I had a bigger issue and now it resolved with new plugs, wires and then double checking each wire for a double click to the coil.

Good luck

JB
Old 05-10-2007, 06:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have a lifter that is bad the car wont tick just sometimes. It will tick all the time, except for prob start up, but it will once it gets warmed up. I think ive got the same problem but this is in an LT1. Also at a certain rpm it gets louder. Best thing to do is get a broom handle or any nice round stick and stick it to each header tube where the sound is coming from and listen to find out where exactly it is coming from. Then just go from there.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok i think i'm going to order up some new wires and change spark plugs... the plugs aren't that old but hey new ones won't hurt right.... its really weird cause somedays at idle it will do it then give it a little gas and it gets louder then around 1500 rpms it goes away... then somedays the damn thing doesn't do it all.... i heard some people say that ls1 are just noisy period so i didn't worry but now my dad is all concerned and my tuner said something about it so i'm like uhh something must be wrong somewhere up there.....
Old 05-10-2007, 05:02 PM
12 Second Club

Might be a good idea to pull the valve covers and inspect the push rods, Good luck -Dave.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Emoney97ss
ok then i really hope its not a lifter!!!! was yours tapping from time to time? cause i really hope its a pushrod instead!!!

Well actualy my tapping was constant up untill the pushrod completly failed, I.E. broke in half, then it stoped, the tapping was replaced by the cylinder not fireing, I was told to drive the car, if the lifter has failed the damage has already been done, same goes for the pushrod. but sometimes you can get the lifters to come back by driveing them. and chaneging the oil cause I guess little dirt particles can get in the oil passages and they can mess your day up! what I would do if I was you is run some sea foam thru your oil, do a search on here you will find a good post on it, then change your oil, and use some lucas oil aditive, cause from your post it sounds like you may have a lifter going in and out. good luck bro!!!

Last edited by 99ssdriver; 05-10-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thanks i'm going to tear into that bad boy this weekend... i just hope its not that bad cause i don't like having it down for that long....