Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 and Chevelle AC setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default LS1 and Chevelle AC setup

I am about to connect my AC up now (summer is here and we have already ad a few 90+ days). I will be using the stock 71' Chevelle setup with the exception of the 99' LS1 Compressor.

Since I don't have a manual, by question is, Which port or line is the High side ? I will get some AC lines made up with the correct compressor manifold and routed to the old Chevelle connections. (I have a local tubing shop that does great work).

Has anyone else intergrated there system.. problems ? success ?

thanks..
Old 05-10-2007, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you are switching to 134A?
Old 05-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Teching In

My compressor is marked 'D' for discharge and 'S' for suction. The D should be the #8 line going to the condensor and the S should be the #10 pulling from the evaporator.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

I'm about to put my car back together and have been trying to determine my re-plumb as well. Have you figured out the electrical switching of all this yet?
Also, the two vacume lines (mines a 1970) coming out of the cowl, where did you plumb them in?
Old 05-10-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

with AC you have a big diameter line and a small diameter line. The small diameter line is your high pressure side
Old 05-10-2007, 03:08 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

rotoober: The electrical side is relatively easy if you want to use the pressure cycling setup that was originally on your chevelle. Take the two wires that used to go to the clutch on your old compressor and attach them to the connector for the LS1 compressor.

If you wanted to run the compressor via the PCM you would have to add in the A/C refrigerant pressure sensor from the LS1 and connect up a few more wires. The only advantage to using the PCM to control it is that the idle will automatically kick up when you turn the A/C on and the fans will kick on if you have the PCM controling them

Neither way is really that much better than the other, people have used both ways to control their compressors.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All,.... Thanks..! )

Yeah, It was already converted to 134a before I took it apart.

I will have to look for the stamped letter.. hadn't noticed before. thanks.

Rotoober - I am just using all of the original Chevelle wiring and controls. I am just going to make up a set of lines and using the LS1 compressor. No different or changes in the wiring except to get a new connector at the compressor.

For the two (?, your not mixing up the washer line are you ?, I only have one) vacuum lines (to drive the dash heater/ac controls).. I just left all of it as originall setup.. that being into the Vacuum canistor and then connected it to the back of LS1 manifold.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Default Thanks!

Wow, sounds too easy! Yes, Bczz I think the other hose is for the washer. Thanks a lot you guys are great!

Now to further clutter things up:

I'd like to put the fenderliners/front sheet metal and ac condenser box back on the car, but I don't have my Hooker Header yet, can I get the headers on with the big ac condenser lump in the way or should I wait?

Matt

Last edited by rotoober; 05-10-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Staging Lane

Anybody? I can get the front end sheetmetal installed this weekend...

Quick Reply: LS1 and Chevelle AC setup