Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Car starting without clutch pedal pressed!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car starting without clutch pedal pressed!?

The car will start without me even pressing in the clutch. I tried pulling up on the clutch pedal while turning the ignition and it will still turn over. Every once in a while I can get it to not crank. Now I'm no expert at transmissions and clutches and everything....but I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be able to start the car without the clutch pressed in. Anyone have any idea as to what is going on?! I just had the slave and the master replaced so I have no idea. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You clutch pedal safety switch at the top of the clutch pedal linkage is either bad or misadjusted.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

What happens when it starts....does it take off forward?
Old 05-10-2007, 04:12 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by Sick14SecV6
What happens when it starts....does it take off forward?
It will if it's in gear and he hits the starter...

Originally Posted by Mike44138
You clutch pedal safety switch at the top of the clutch pedal linkage is either bad or misadjusted.
Bingo. I'd bet the switch is bad. It's going to be dirt cheap to replace it. So I'd go ahead and do it.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Yup, only takes off forward if its in gear. That's when I first realized it did it and I thought it was just cause it was in gear.

What exactly does the switch do? Could this be causing the clutch to slip alot? And how hard would it be to replace it myself? Any sponsors have this part? Lol, sorry for all the questions.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone get my last post....I think ls1tech is messing up again...gave me an error when trying to reply...
Old 05-10-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

The switch absolutely does not have anything to do with clutch slippage. It is just a safety switch so it does not accidently take off if one starts it without the clutch depressed and in gear.

Looks to be about $7 at advance auto parts. Search NS35 on their website.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:14 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Again, it has nothing to do with clutch slippage. If your clutch is slipping bad your clutch disk and pressure plate are probably toast.

The switch is for safety. For instance at the drag strip, a tech inspector will probably fail you for not having the switch operational.

7 bucks sounds about right. If you want to go ahead and put the switch in yourself, I can send you some info on how to do it. You can save yourself a few bucks, and as long as you have some basic tools and mechanical skills you'll be set.

Just go to the local dealer and have them look up the switch in the parts department. You're looking for a neutral saftey switch. The part number fire-formula posted is correct. NS35

That's the bitch right there. Let me know if you need the install info.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Again, it has nothing to do with clutch slippage. If your clutch is slipping bad your clutch disk and pressure plate are probably toast.

The switch is for safety. For instance at the drag strip, a tech inspector will probably fail you for not having the switch operational.

7 bucks sounds about right. If you want to go ahead and put the switch in yourself, I can send you some info on how to do it. You can save yourself a few bucks, and as long as you have some basic tools and mechanical skills you'll be set.

Just go to the local dealer and have them look up the switch in the parts department. You're looking for a neutral saftey switch. The part number fire-formula posted is correct. NS35

That's the bitch right there. Let me know if you need the install info.
Thanks a ton. My clutch hasn't been slipping I was just wondering if it could cause it to slip. Yeah, if its not too much trouble, the install info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:15 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

I'll send it to you on Monday...
Old 05-14-2007, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Alright thanks.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:54 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Here's the OEM part number if you need it.
14094368 listed as a neutral safety switch.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

Yea, mine does the same, I like it though. If I'm loadin groceries the wife & kid can go ahead & get in & start it from the passanger side. I just always leave my e-brake on & unless I'm on a hill I leave it in neutral. Never had a problem.

Plus if you ever want to install a remote start for the cold *** mornings, you'll have to disable it anyway.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Teching In

The picture you guys are showing is for the automatic transmission. It's located by the shifter. The switch for a manual is down by the clutch pedal.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...7&d=1197512069 Kind of like the switch on the brake pedal for the brake lights.

Does anyone have a "working" part number for this switch? Auto Zone and O'Riley couldn't find the part for me. Mine is marked 10293267 and I did a search on that number, but (for the most part) only this forum came back. The number doesn't work on AutoPartsGIANT.com GMPartsDirect.com or RockAuto.com I would hate to pay GM $30 for a $10 part...

Quick Reply: Car starting without clutch pedal pressed!?