Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What to do to get a CD changer to work in a '98

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 02:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What to do to get a CD changer to work in a '98

I have a CD changer from a 2000 Camaro and I want to put it in my 98 Formula. I know that the wiring is already in the hatch area, but I read that only the late model 99 and higher Monsoon headunits were CD changer compatible even though they didn't come with one originally. What eould I need to do to get the changer to work in my 98? Would I have to buy a newer headunit, or is there something I can do with the one I have now? Thanks for your help.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by nhra-trans-am
I have a CD changer from a 2000 Camaro and I want to put it in my 98 Formula. I know that the wiring is already in the hatch area, but I read that only the late model 99 and higher Monsoon headunits were CD changer compatible even though they didn't come with one originally. What eould I need to do to get the changer to work in my 98? Would I have to buy a newer headunit, or is there something I can do with the one I have now? Thanks for your help.
If you have a cassette head unit in your 98 then the CD changer will plug in and work without any other changes. If you have (or want) a single CD head unit then you will have to upgrade the head unit to a 2000 or newer model. You could try for a late 99 but it's very difficult to find out if it's an early or late model so it's safer to just go 2000 or newer.

You can usually find head units in the parts for sale forum. You can also find them on eBay but there have been several reports of vendors saying that a head unit is newer than it really is.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you already have the cd changer, plug it in and give it a shot.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the CD changer and it worked on my 2000 T/A. I tried it in the '98 and it didn't work because it has a single CD unit. I guess I will have to start looking for a newer headunit. Thanks.