General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Airbag question

Old 05-12-2007, 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag question

Im planning to swap out the steering wheel for an aftermarket, along with getting a harness.. however I would like to leave the passenger airbag intact as I dont want passengers to have to deal with a harness. Obviously if you pull one bag, the light will come on... does this light disable the airbag system entirely? Or is it just a warning and the passenger bag would still deploy? Is it even possible to have just one functioning airbag? Thanks for any help
Old 05-13-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

The complete system is disabled once the drivers side bag is gone. It will set a driver side srs circuit open and disable the system. There is no way around it. Then pull the cluster and pop the airbag light out to save the frustration.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't the SDM do a resistance check of the bags on power up, and if out of range then it set's a fault.
Wonder if finding the correct resistance for the driver side bag.
Then installing a resistor in place would work.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 618HAWK
Doesn't the SDM do a resistance check of the bags on power up, and if out of range then it set's a fault.
Wonder if finding the correct resistance for the driver side bag.
Then installing a resistor in place would work.
That was my first thought as well... sure would make life easier, though I know others have done some outlandish things just to turn off the airbag light, so if it was as simple as a resistor, it probably would be more well known. But it never hurts to ask! Anyone ever try it this way? I guess the other option is to just run an extension for the wires, and just mount the bag out of the way in the rear hatch area somewhere, so the circuit is still intact... though itll probably destroy the rear panel(s), and possibly the body work if it were to go off.... then again, if I was in an accident, im sure ill have plenty of damage to deal with regardless.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might try and find a schematic for a vehicle that has the switch on the dash to turn off the pass side air bag and see how it is done. Just a idea. I know the late model chevy trucks-vans have it.

Search this Thread