Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those of you who like to see pictures of wiped out motors (dial-up beware!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 07:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default For those of you who like to see pictures of wiped out motors (dial-up beware!)

I bought a 98 hard top Z28 the other day with a hurt motor. Got it pulled out and started tearing it down this afternoon. Thought I'd share some pictures of the carnage. heh..

After getting it on the engine stand I cracked open the oil drain and a bunch of needle bearings spilled out. I'm guessing it hurt a stock rocker arm or something...not sure what else would put that many needle bearings in the pan. Pulled the oil pan off and it looked like someone punched the windage tray and left a big dent..bunch of trash in the pickup also.

Anyway...the first thing I notice is I'm staring at four rod bolts lined up together on one journal. heh..

I flipped it around and pretty much the entire rod is gone..

Block looks like someone took an ice pick to it near the bottom of the picture..part of the skirt and cylinder is gone.

More of the motor will have to come down, but I have yet to locate the rest of this rod. heh..

The other piston on that journal still had a complete rod..but it was torn through up to the wrist pin.

Says they are JE pistons...I haven't looked at the others yet, but I don't think I'll be using anything from the motor that came in the car. heh..

Chad
Old 05-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AAAHHHHH, nothing like carnage for breakfast!!! Sucks, man. How did it happen? Were you sprayin?
Old 05-12-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have posted these pics before but thought that there maybe some people who had not enjoyed them yet...it is a stock LS2...makes you wonder just how high do I want to rev on stock rod bolts...
Old 05-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats nasty!!^^Looks like it
Old 05-12-2007, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
AAAHHHHH, nothing like carnage for breakfast!!! Sucks, man. How did it happen? Were you sprayin?
I bought the car with a hurt motor in it...no clue what they were doing when it happened. Was going to try and fix the motor that came in the car, but there was just way too much damage. I have a complete stock long block sitting in storage that I can throw in it.

Chad
Old 05-12-2007, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slt200mph
I have posted these pics before but thought that there maybe some people who had not enjoyed them yet...it is a stock LS2...makes you wonder just how high do I want to rev on stock rod bolts...
Man that's pretty harsh..I saw a Mustang do about the same thing on the free way one night. It shredded the tranny cooler lines so bad they looked like ripped open coke cans. heh..

Chad
Old 05-12-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If ya gonna break it, break it good. Doesnt matter if it is a small hair line crack or hole in the block. Its broken anyway ya look at it.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hard Core Z28
If ya gonna break it, break it good. Doesnt matter if it is a small hair line crack or hole in the block. Its broken anyway ya look at it.

A hairline crack in the block generally won't trash the internals.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:23 PM
12 Second Club

Thats painful to look at
Old 05-12-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow! me and you could be twins! we both destroyed a piston rod and knocked holes in our blocks!
Old 05-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Banned

They must been giving that car some major hell. Did the other end of that rod possibly go through the block somewhere