Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help

I need help finding out where to run my remote wire to my amp heres the catch Im running all stock system other than the sub and amp and need a place near the rear of the car to get a remote wire hooked up? Can I run of the factory amp to get aremote wire? and where if I can?
Old 05-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Launching!

help please!!!
Old 05-12-2007, 09:23 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Unfortunately, there isn't a convenient wire at the back of a Camaro to use as a remote turn-on. Firebirds have the power antenna wire but Camaros don't. There is no turn-on wire at the factory amp because it doesn't use a turn-on wire like most aftermarket amps - it turns on when it detects audio signal from the head unit.

The Camaro head unit has the pin for a power antenna wire, it just doesn't have the wire in the harness. You can add it yourself but you'll have to run the wire from the back of the head unit.

Another option is a low voltage turn-on device. It acts like an electronic relay that turns on when it detects signal on a speaker wire. You could hook it up at the factory amp. A motorcycle accessory company called the Electrical Connection sells them for about $15 (they're not a sponsor obviously but you can google the name).
Old 05-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Launching!

Well I think I may try to run it from the back of the head unit. Can you tell me where it is on the back of the head unit? Which Wire? Maybe a Diagram or something

Thanks for all the help WhiteBird00
Old 05-13-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out the wire diagrams in the FAQ for pin assignments.

You don't have an aftermarket HU, do you?
Old 05-13-2007, 11:00 PM
Launching!

yea im still using the factory head unit. All that im trying to do is get more bass and right now I have it wired up to 12v through the factory fuse block and using a rocker switch to turn it on and off right now, but im still wanting it to be through the ignition or something that has voltage only when the key is on.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:06 PM
Launching!

ok I just got done looking through the FAQ and had never seen the diagrams before untill now, but I was doing some reading and found this.

9 - YELLOW - ignition controlled power

Could I splice into that to get a remote wire for my amp?

Thanks, Joe
Old 05-14-2007, 07:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Summit2345
ok I just got done looking through the FAQ and had never seen the diagrams before untill now, but I was doing some reading and found this.

9 - YELLOW - ignition controlled power

Could I splice into that to get a remote wire for my amp?

Thanks, Joe
Yes, you could, but you would have the amp powered whenever the ignition is on (and during RAP operation) regardless of whether the radio was on. You should see an empty spot in that connector right next to the yellow wire. That's where the power antenna wire goes on a Firebird. Add your own wire to that position and run it to the back for use as a remote turn-on for your amp. That way you'll have the amp on only when the head unit is on.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Ok guys I got it all hooked up using the firebird power antenna as the remote wire and it works great thanks for all the help guys