Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody ever wired up a 2000 Trans Am Dash Cluster in their swap?!?! Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody ever wired up a 2000 Trans Am Dash Cluster in their swap?!?! Help Please!

Hey guys, I'm trying to use a Dash Cluster out of the donor car that I got the LS1/T56 from but I'm having issues getting the gauges that are on the serial data bus to work. The dash cluster is out of the exact car that the motor and transmission came out of.

We have the oil pressure and the voltage gauges working and the speedo might be working as well since we do have the VSS wire hooked up, just haven't had a chance to jack up the car while it's running to see if it works or not.

Anyway, we have all the wires hooked up that we are aware of from the GM service manual. We have the constant 12v, switched 12v, the grounds, inst. cluster power, oil pressure, VSS wire, MIL light wire, and the serial data wires all hooked up. I have tested the serial data wire out since it's the same wire the OBDII plus uses and I'm able to get a connection to the computer and read the RPM and all the other data directly from the computer.

The issues, the odometer doesn't light or nor does it work. The temp gauge, tach and most likely the fuel gauge (don't have a sender hooked up to the fuel gage but it's one of the gages that gets it's info from the serial data from what I can see). The gages all do a sweep when you first give them power so the gauges seem to be working, just seems like the dash isn't being told to turn or or something of that nature. There is no ABS, Air Bag, or anything else connected to the serial data bus right now and I'm wondering if maybe that's part of the problem.

Anybody got any ideas as to what my problem may be? Thanks!

Last edited by Ted J; 05-17-2007 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

TTT, anybody got any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"powershiftkung" has a camaro dash in his mustang, what year is the dropout from?
Old 05-13-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lt4malibu
"powershiftkung" has a camaro dash in his mustang, what year is the dropout from?
Thanks for the heads up.

Oops, sorry, forgot the year, my bad. It's all from a 2000 Trans Am.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Unless you are using the t/a sending unit integrated into the oem fuel sender unit on your conversion the gas gauge will not work. The tach, oil pressure, and speedometer are hardwired outputs. The rest of the gauges are off of the serial data from the pcm. It sounds like the cluster may be lacking an ign source since the odometer is not lighting up.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Unless you are using the t/a sending unit integrated into the oem fuel sender unit on your conversion the gas gauge will not work. The tach, oil pressure, and speedometer are hardwired outputs. The rest of the gauges are off of the serial data from the pcm. It sounds like the cluster may be lacking an ign source since the odometer is not lighting up.
In 2000 on a T/A cluster the fuel gauge, tach, and temp are all serial data feed. The oil pressure and voltage get their signal from a wire and the speedo and odometer get their signal from the VSS wire but they go through a solid state logic chip to process out the odometer and the speedo from what I understood from looking at the diagrams. That solid state logic chip I think also has the serial data bus II going into it as well and it processes out that data.

It's funny you mention the ign source for that was actually our issue, well sort of, but in a way that made it so it wouldn't work. My brother just figured out the problem. There is a wired labled 'fused ign source' and we figured that meant it should get feed fused ign. all of the time. Well, in reading more into it my brother figured out that was only suppose to get power when the starter was cranking over. After he wired it up were that only got power when the starting was cranking over the cluster works just fine now.

So, in the end, as we both joked about the whole time, it literally was just one wire that caused it not to work! I'm so excited for now I can see what's going on and not have to buy and fab up a bunch of gauges!
Old 12-06-2023, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ted J
In 2000 on a T/A cluster the fuel gauge, tach, and temp are all serial data feed. The oil pressure and voltage get their signal from a wire and the speedo and odometer get their signal from the VSS wire but they go through a solid state logic chip to process out the odometer and the speedo from what I understood from looking at the diagrams. That solid state logic chip I think also has the serial data bus II going into it as well and it processes out that data.

It's funny you mention the ign source for that was actually our issue, well sort of, but in a way that made it so it wouldn't work. My brother just figured out the problem. There is a wired labled 'fused ign source' and we figured that meant it should get feed fused ign. all of the time. Well, in reading more into it my brother figured out that was only suppose to get power when the starter was cranking over. After he wired it up were that only got power when the starting was cranking over the cluster works just fine now.

So, in the end, as we both joked about the whole time, it literally was just one wire that caused it not to work! I'm so excited for now I can see what's going on and not have to buy and fab up a bunch of gauges!
What did y’all hook the wire up to for it to work?
Old 12-06-2023, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by Martinshere
What did y’all hook the wire up to for it to work?
Are you kidding me? A SIXTEEN year old thread where the OP hasn't been here for EIGHT years? Really....
Old 12-07-2023, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 527 Likes on 333 Posts

Miracles happen everyday. Where's your holiday spirit??
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
Miracles happen everyday. Where's your holiday spirit??
Hey, there're miracles, then outright fantasies... LOL
Old 12-07-2023, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Are you kidding me? A SIXTEEN year old thread where the OP hasn't been here for EIGHT years? Really....
I was on another forum the other night and it had a message on old threads. "This is an old thread and may not be responded to."

Or something like that. I thought of you when I saw it and thought LStech could use it, but then you would be out of a job.
G Atsma (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 10:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I was on another forum the other night and it had a message on old threads. "This is an old thread and may not be responded to."

Or something like that. I thought of you when I saw it and thought LStech could use it, but then you would be out of a job.
You would run me out into the cold, harsh real world like that??
The horror.. inhumanity.... and all that other garbage....
Actually that would be a great idea! Head 'em off at the pass....
Old 12-08-2023, 02:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

😂😂

I can't remember what board it was. I think I was using the Google to find out where to get ROMS for my Wii U that I just jail broke.

I honestly think it's a good idea, however, you know as well as I do, people don't read and would ask anyway.

You'd still have a job brah. 😆
Old 12-08-2023, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
😂😂

I can't remember what board it was. I think I was using the Google to find out where to get ROMS for my Wii U that I just jail broke.

I honestly think it's a good idea, however, you know as well as I do, people don't read and would ask anyway.

You'd still have a job brah. 😆
True dat!
WHOA. I am SO relieved... to think that..... nah I won't.....
Old 12-09-2023, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 250 Likes on 188 Posts

I think you know as well as I do that people would still keep bumping old threads.
G Atsma (12-09-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep. Part of the forum scene.....

Quick Reply: Anybody ever wired up a 2000 Trans Am Dash Cluster in their swap?!?! Help Please!