General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil consumption

ok so yesterday my low oil light cam on im at about 6000 mile on royal purple 5w30, we checked the stick and it was like 3 or 4 qts low the car doesnt smoke has no pcv system and doesnt leak oil from any visible place from under the car. if the rear main seal was leaking wouldnt my clutch slip and also it 4 months old so i dont think thats it?
Old 05-12-2007, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Dude I hate to tell you, but it's probably burning it. I have no cats, true duals, no leaks, and NO smoke and I still have to add about a quart every 2500 miles or every oil change. It seems like some the these LSx cars are plagued with piston slap and imperfect cylinder bores. These two combined will definitely promote some oil consumption. I think, however, these engines are so efficient at burning the A/F mixture that they don't really smoke.
P.S. I thought I'd remove the little inspection cover in my A4's bell housing to see if my rear main might be the culprit. Nope, drier than an 84 year old nun's *****.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Imperfect cylinder bore? Never heard that one before, but what do I know. The piston slap is from the aluminum engine...

LS1's have a shitty PCV system, you said you have NO PCV? They take the crank pressure out of the valve covers and blow it into the intake manifold, but it takes alot of oil with it. 3 or 4 qts low? woah... so you were running with 1.5-2 qts... no good. Check out your intake manifold and see how much oil you have in it, might invest in a catch can (homemade for what...30$?) or Thunder Racing sells them. There is also the LS6 PCV swap but it is certainly more work, however it should actually stop the oil consumption instead of just stopping the oil from getting to your intake manifold.

Either way, adding some oil at 2,000-2,500 to an oil change is normal, you could also try the GERMAN CASTROL solution which is said to help with the oil consumption, basically just using the special "European" castrol syntec oil instead of Mobil 1 or whatever. I don't like Mobil 1, its like water.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fibbado
The piston slap is from the aluminum engine...
Yes, but they have IRON liners.
Read up my friend.
http://www.pistonslap.com/
Old 05-12-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry let me rephrase my friend, the aluminum pistons. The cylinder walls don't expand/contract etc. noticeably. The pistons do, thats why piston slap goes away after awhile.

Oddly enough my car doesnt have any piston slap, then again maybe the dynomax bullets drown it out
Old 05-13-2007, 09:16 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

by no pcv i mean the whole systems gone i run dual breathers