Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

My Monsson amp experience

Old 05-13-2007, 06:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Monsson amp experience

This may be isolated to my situation but I wanted to post it so if anyone else had an issue it might help them. I installed an Alpine 9883 HU, 2 6.5 Polk Audio coaxial 2-ways in the doors and two more in the sail panels. I pulled the wiring from the rear 4" speakers to run the sail 6.5's. I left the factory tweeters hooked up since they run directly off of the deck. The Monsoon Amp ran the four Polks. Here is what happpened, The system sounded OK but was not a full-range sound. It was missing something. Also at higher volumes the door speakers would start to cut in and out. The factory tweeters sounded ok. I knew that the door speakers orginally were 2ohm, and the Polks are 4 ohm. I had to set the fader more to the front to get the same volume from the doors as the sails. I had a feeling the Amp was causing all these issues so for the heck of it I quick bypassed it with jumpers at the connector. Wow what a difference, now I've got full-range sound, alot more bass and the sound is clearer. The door speakers don't cut out and at any volume it is louder than with the Monsoon amp hooked up. Basically It sounds night and day better. I'm not saying go out and remove your amp but I tried to use the amp with non-factory speakers and it did not work out to well as you can see. I know most people keep the amp when they keep stock speakers. If anyone could give me an explanation of why this happened it would be helpful, as far as I know my Monsoon amp could have been bad.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

When you swapped the stock speakers with the Alpines, you basically cut the power in half from the amp. 2ohm stock speakers and 4ohm Alpines.

I do not believe the amp is bad. But the Monsoon system is designed one certain way, and if you change it like you did, it does not work very well.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stop using factory tweeters with aftermarket speaker systems. It's foolish.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

I no longer use the factory tweeters, the Polk coaxials provide more than enough highs. I think my expirience proves like what was posted above, that if you use the amp the way it was designed it will work ok. In my case 4 6.5 coaxials and a 10" sub with only a 50 watt HU provides more than the orginal Monsoon did with all it's speakers.

Search this Thread