Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

3M Perfect It II.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3M Perfect It II.

I have just purchased 3M Perfect It II for Dark Colored Cars, and was looking for advice on how to use it. I have the PC 7424 and the 3M Polish Pads. I am looking for advice on how to use the product with this application. Do I apply the product to the paint first or the pad? I know I work a small area, but how long? Do I let the glaze dry then polish it off? Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated. The more detail the better....I have fine surface swirls and would really like to get rid of them.

Thanks in advance.

Ed
Old 05-13-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

Ed,

I'm going to assume that you are using a mechanical buffer and not an orbital. If so, you are going to want to apply the glaze to the car first, then go over it with the pad. The glaze will buff right into the paint so there is no need to wipe anything. Once you are done doing that, wax the car. Any of the excess will come off while you are waxing it. Always check the cracks and crevices for excess as well. If there is a lot, take it to your local car wash and rinse (not wash) the car, espically in the cracks.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

Hey Eddie,

Thanks for the reply. I had used the product once before and I always buff it on until the 3M gets extrememly oily. However, it never seems to buff totally in the point as it sounds like you're describing. Any idea what I could be doing wrong? How long should it take me to buff a 2' x 2' area?

Thanks!

Ed
Old 05-14-2007, 04:29 PM
On the tree

3M Perfect It II is a great product, I have used it for year and always get good results as it removes alot of the minor scratches and what nots. Then I follow it up with 3M swirl remover for dark cars with a new pad and then wax it.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackFormula01
Hey Eddie,

Thanks for the reply. I had used the product once before and I always buff it on until the 3M gets extrememly oily. However, it never seems to buff totally in the point as it sounds like you're describing. Any idea what I could be doing wrong? How long should it take me to buff a 2' x 2' area?

Thanks!

Ed
Ed,

What your describing should not happen if you are using the type of glaze I'm thinking of. Oily might not be the best way to describe it. When you are done, the surface should look clean and smooth. Perhaps you are using too much glaze in one section. Are you using a high speed buffer with a foam pad? How long it should take you is a bit subjective. Everyone buffs differently, and it depends on how much you have on the car. For me, buffing a 2' x 2' section of a car would take under a minute. I wish I could see the car in person, it would help me tell you what you really need. Let me know.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

Eddie,

The buffer I am using is a random orbital porter cable 7424. The pad is the 3M foam polishing pad. The exact name of the product is "3M Perfect-It II Foam Polishing Pad Glaze- Dark." The product number is 05996. Even the directions say to buff until dry to a high gloss. I've just never achieved that. I am wondering if the PC 7424 isn't the right tool...

Thanks for all your help, Eddie. I hope some of this information cleared up some of the confusion.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Eddie,

The buffer I am using is a random orbital porter cable 7424. The pad is the 3M foam polishing pad. The exact name of the product is "3M Perfect-It II Foam Polishing Pad Glaze- Dark." The product number is 05996. Even the directions say to buff until dry to a high gloss. I've just never achieved that. I am wondering if the PC 7424 isn't the right tool...

Thanks for all your help, Eddie. I hope some of this information cleared up some of the confusion.
The PC is the perfect tool for this. You may be using too much product. With PI II with the yellow pad from Tropi-care, I use about a dime size for a 2x2 area and work that until it's noticeably dry, and the product is dissolving. Do not let it sit, wipe it off immediately and inspect the area. It should cause the surface to get a dull hazy look. Once you get the results you are looking for, go over it with a SMR. I use the Tropicare Swirl Cutter with their orange pad after using the PI II and the results are awesome. I finished up a customers car this past week and used this exact method and the results were awesome. Be patient.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW...all of this is done on speed 6.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Regular

I have been using way more than a dime size. I'm thinking this could be half my problem.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

3M 05996 works great with 3M 05725(black) foam polishing pad. According to the 3M representatives, it is recommended to apply light pressure on the buffer when you first apply the polish in order to cut swirls, then gradually reduce the pressure. Do not let it dry like wax. Try to make it all disappear with the polishing pad, eventhough sometimes it wont, then wipe it off with 3M detail cloth 39016.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

Eddie,

Yep. The fact that you are using an orbital is why you are seeing it look oily. Not to worry. If I were you, I would apply the glaze with the orbital, do the whole car, then wax right over it. Saves you the time of having to take two different things off the paint.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:02 PM
Teching In

can you use just a orbiter or does it have to be a buffer?

Quick Reply: 3M Perfect It II.