Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec 5

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec 5

Well my Z06 clutch is completly gone...

was lookin at the Spec 3+ but have read alot of horror stories about the spring loaded Spec clutches and the best deal i have found on them are like $520, on the other hand i found a spec 5 for $430 and its not spring loaded and i havent read anything bad about them...

my car is NOT a DD so im not worried about drivability..

i guess my question is...have u guys heard anything back about the spec 4 or 5?
Old 05-13-2007, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

i like my spec 5....bit of a squeak but after going to the track a few weeks ago most of the remaining squeak is gone.lol
Old 05-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a stage 5 for like 2 years now. A little noisy when cold, engages very fast so anyone that drives your car will certainly stall it. But definatelly streetable with some practice, mine has an aluminum flywheel as well which makes it more tricky to get going. A steel flywheel should be easier to drive.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone else?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

I drove one last summer and my car is not a DD either. It is very stiff and makes noise but I got used to driving it on the street pretty easily with a little practice. But like stated above, anyone who drives it will stall it. I bought it with the intention of going to the track a lot but i really just drive my car on the street and go to the track once or twice a year so I think for that reason it is overkill. Also, I found that it didn't grab as hard by the end of the year because I would slip it more than it is designed for and it wore out faster. It really wants to be side-stepped. Bottom line, I think you can get use to it and drive it with no problems but unless your pushing over 700 rwhp, I wouldn't get it.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nice SSer
I drove one last summer and my car is not a DD either. It is very stiff and makes noise but I got used to driving it on the street pretty easily with a little practice. But like stated above, anyone who drives it will stall it. I bought it with the intention of going to the track a lot but i really just drive my car on the street and go to the track once or twice a year so I think for that reason it is overkill. Also, I found that it didn't grab as hard by the end of the year because I would slip it more than it is designed for and it wore out faster. It really wants to be side-stepped. Bottom line, I think you can get use to it and drive it with no problems but unless your pushing over 700 rwhp, I wouldn't get it.

think i the spec 4 would be a lil more street friendly?i only dirve my car like 500 miles a month or so and ill be at the track quite a bit id say (if i get a clutch, lol)

i just dont want a 3 down because their spring loaded and i have heard of the srping flying out on them
Old 05-17-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the 3+ on a 600rwhp car and abused the crap out of it both racing and daily driving. It took it all and then some. At your hp that would be the clutch I would go with.

Now the Spec 5 I killed within 4,000 miles at just over 700rwhp so I went with a 3+ twin disk and love it again!

This is not an area where you want to be cheap. Buying 2 clutches and having them installed in a year isn't fun.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you understand that there are more Spec 3 clutches in LS1 F-Bodies than any other aftermarket clutch COMBINED (that is all of them added up together!), then you'll realize that you have read "horror stories" about them not because they are bad, but it's just the math. Just buy a Spec 3+ and be happy knowing you got the best clutch available. The fact that you can read just as bad of things about LS7 and Texrailia clutches on this foum really speaks well for Spec 3+.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Junkie

i've got the SPEC 4 w/ fidanza alum flywheel in my Z.

although it doesn't get driven every day, it ONLY sees the street.

i've got about 6-7000 mile son it and when i pulled it recently to replace bad hydrolics there was minimal wear on teh clutch disk. stock is .310, mine was .305....spec says replace at .280"

it is tricky to pull out from a stop, both with the solid disc and the light flywheel. but once your'e used to it, it's not bad.

once it warms up in the morning, it makes no noise.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:23 AM
FormerVendor

SV, what kind of torque are you making? Let me know and I will be happy to provide info on the best application as well as recommend a dealer thru which to buy it.

As a side note, and as confirmation, we sell tons of 3 and 3+ units for this application and have for years. Our overall return rate is minimal (less than 1%). This should speak for itself. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

just took out my 3X whcih i got 30k on and still has lenty of life left. put the stg5 in with the new motor . other than the slight squeak every now and then i love it . driving habbit/style will be what is a factor for you really. im mainly on/off not to much slipage when i drive so a 5's on/off driveabilty doesnt affect me one bit its how i drive anyway
spec is the only clutch id get though tthats for sure seen almost every clutch out there and none have as good of a dependabilty as the spec's including there new dual setups
Old 05-19-2007, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

What the price range for the twin disk setups? I can't find anything on their site.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

their twin disk rated to 900 ft lb's is 1400 as per there website.you have to search by make and model and select twin
Old 05-19-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Spec 5 here, love it. Takes 5,000 rpm dumps that bogs my car, our track is so sticky. Bent the 1/2" X 20 studs on my 9" Moser without hurting the clutch. Got ARP's now. I've got a 408 going in, in a few weeks, we'll see if that kills the Spec.

Quick Reply: Spec 5