Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Troop Withdraw

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Troop Withdraw

(I'm with 2nd Battalion 1st Marines; we're slated to go to Iraq Sept '08)

What do you all think about the situation between Bush and congress trying to pull out all of the troops from Iraq? Do you think it's gonna happen; if so, when? The democrats are more than likely taking over next term, they've already taken the House... Will that have an effect on troops being withdrawn? Post your thoughts and opinions.. here's an short article I found.

Bush vetoes Iraq troop withdrawl bill

May 1, 2007
FROM THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
WASHINGTON -- President Bush vetoed legislation to pull U.S. troops out of Iraq Tuesday night in a historic showdown with Congress over whether the unpopular and costly war should end or escalate.

In only the second veto of his presidency, Bush rejected legislation that would require the first U.S. combat troops to be withdrawn from Iraq by Oct. 1 with a goal of a complete pullout six months later.

''This is a prescription for chaos and confusion and we must not impose it on our troops,'' Bush said in a nationally broadcast statement from the White House. He said the bill would ''mandate a rigid and artificial deadline'' for troop pullouts, and ''it makes no sense to tell the enemy when you plan to start withdrawing.''
Old 05-14-2007, 12:30 AM
11 Second Club

I don't know, but he has a point. It would be dumb to set a date in stone, and it wouldn't happen that fast anyways unless we just started abandoning everything and tucking our tails between our legs and running.

I was with 3/5 and now I know they were supposed to go on a float, instead of a 4th deployment to iraq, but that was canceled and now it is just a 4th deployment... deployment tempos (for us Marines atleast and I think the army too) are still the same as always. Sep. 08 is still pretty far away though, I am surprised you even know that far in advance.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:32 AM
TECH Regular

3/5 took our UDP to Iraq! (they were supposed to come take our spot in OKI with the 31st MEU but we got extended) Our Bn Co and our Bn SgtMaj told us that we're slotted for Sept '08 now; I'm not sure how accurate those claims are, they may be just trying to keep the morale up. Anyone, what are the chances we'll still be in Iraq late '08-'09?
Old 05-14-2007, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe any timeline containing dates is immature and stupid. It's really going to "Take what it Takes".

What they should do is asses what needs to be in place inorder for the government to have control. The Iraqs themselves are the ones that determine when we leave. If they can't contain the situation themselves, then we can't leave. There is no accurate timeline that can be placed on this.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

im fixin to head over there soon also. im getting tired of the B.S!! we have been there for how friggin long? like 5 or 7 years. damn!! if these guys cant defend themselves then f*ck em!!
Old 05-14-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll say it now like i said back in 04. We're not leaving Iraq to at least 2010, too much **** has happened and too much money (and lives) has been spent to leave within the next 2 years.

btw i'm going back here in November, oh well
Old 05-14-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GET_SOM
Anyone, what are the chances we'll still be in Iraq late '08-'09?
With our commander in chief, it depends on the situation on the ground. It doesn't depend on poll numbers or congress. Thankfully. So there's no telling.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

in all honesty i want it to end. 3 trips i know i have a 4th in as many years. i havnt been home with my wife for more than 5 months at tim since i have been in. this **** is getting old. but i will do wat they tell me when they tell me cus its my job. also if we are to change anythgni over here we need to in country 30-40 more years (in my opinion) just so we can change the views of the younger generation. -------my $.02-----
Old 05-14-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

Most of the guys I talk to feel the same as you all.. the general consensus is we'll still be needed over there and will deploy next year... I'm just trying to decide whether or not to go Force Recon or stick it out with the battalion and deploy to Iraq...
Old 05-15-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

like i said earlier!! its just a bunch of B.S!! im tired of hearing bout my other sister service members getting hurt from people who we are trying to help. $hit, i say " VOTE FOR HILARY IN 08!!!!
Old 05-15-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dont think we'll be pulled out til the next president takes over. and that's still iffy. eveyone will say what they have to so they can get elected. then they will change their "plan" midway through. just like usual. i think they should pull us out, and level this place.. it's like trying to bring peace and justice to east LA.. like that's ever gonna happen.

these idiots have been killing each other for 1000's of years. just because the "West" tells them to stop, doesn't mean ****.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
like i said earlier!! its just a bunch of B.S!! im tired of hearing bout my other sister service members getting hurt from people who we are trying to help. $hit, i say " VOTE FOR HILARY IN 08!!!!
What is her plan?
Old 05-16-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well when the US Govt is contracting to have hardened Structures Built (barracks) around this country, it is not a good sign if you are looking to have a speedy Troop Withdrawl. In my opinion, Iraq will end up like Korea, a hardship tour. Everyone gets there turn over here, but active duty Army soldiers seem to be taking the brunt of all the asshattery. For me and all you young soldiers/marines etc.., look at it as job security. even after you get out of the military, you will always have something to fall back on
Old 05-16-2007, 11:58 AM
SCRWS6

Blackwater ???!!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sgt0704
i dont think we'll be pulled out til the next president takes over. and that's still iffy. eveyone will say what they have to so they can get elected. then they will change their "plan" midway through. just like usual. i think they should pull us out, and level this place.. it's like trying to bring peace and justice to east LA.. like that's ever gonna happen.

these idiots have been killing each other for 1000's of years. just because the "West" tells them to stop, doesn't mean ****.
I agree that place is just one big Charlie Foxtrot I am so glad I did my 8 and got out 2 tours was enough for me. So many people are over there doing nothing and just wasting money it makes me sick.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went over there twice when I was active duty Army (2/70 AR & 3/7 INF). Its a really tricky situation there, but it all depends on Politics sorry to say. The Republicans dont want to "cut and run" like the democrats want us to because if we do then it will be an "I told you so" situation, and by that happening the Govt is gambling with lives that dont need to be lost. My personal opinion is we should pull out of Germany and Korea, because after 50-60 years those idiots should be able to defend themselves. But we will be over there for awhile because history tends to repeat itself (by looking at Germany and Korea). The Iraqi's will take their sweet time training their soldiers and police because why sacrifice Iraqi lives when American lives can be sacrificed so much easier. Im a die-hard conservative and I think we should pull out because we accomplished our mission and took Saddam out. We need to be consentrating more on Afghanistan because we've lost sight of what our ultimate goal over in the middle east is.
And who said Hillary for Pres??? Smokin some crack I think
Fred Thompson all the way.

If I had it my way I would drop nukes over the entire region, take over the whole country, take their oil and reduce the price of gas because I need to drive my F-Body more than I do.

Quick Reply: Troop Withdraw