Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

turn signal/wipers on, turns off car

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 02:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal/wipers on, turns off car

I believe I either have a short in my turn signal/wiper unit or the unit is bad.
The car is hit and miss with turning on. When I do get it going, if i use the right or left signal, it shuts off power to the car and usually doesnt start right away again. If I get the car started, and try the wipers, it shuts the car down.
Sorry for posting with a Dodge shadow, but i seen alot of good knowledge here and trying to find a solution.
any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks
Old 05-15-2007, 07:26 PM

just a footnote,
today, to rule out the battery, i put a good working battery with same results.

just in case anyone can give me any further suggestions.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:08 AM
TECH Resident

well, at least u know what is turning it off. Theres some very thick wire grounding out, from the sound of it. Normal smaller gauge wires would just pop fuses. BUt first, id check connections from the steering column, all the way to the turn signal bulbs. DOES the car turn off with EITHER turn signal? or just left or right?
Old 05-16-2007, 05:04 AM

thanks for the input
It will shut the car off , using either turn signals or windshield wiper function.
Late yesterday, while i had it in accessory side of ignition, i tried moving wiper delay function and they came up, but once I tried turning off wiper, it stopped with the wipers up.
Today, I could not get it going at all,
Old 05-18-2007, 07:58 PM

anymore ideas?
anyone
Old 05-30-2007, 02:19 AM
Teching In

The wires may have been touching wrongly that causes some grounding and affect the car's condition in which resulting to poor conductivity.My car had also the similar problem when my saturn windshield wiper motor was not properly installed.I checked the connections and its on the distribution of current.