Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered My Parts Today!--What can i expect?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered My Parts Today!--What can i expect?

Ordered all of my stuff finally:
TSP LS6 Heads w/ dual valve springs and titanium retainers
TSP 228R Cam
LS2 Timing Chain
Pacesetter Long Tubes
TSP Off-Road Y Pipe

I'm expecting around 100 horse increase to the wheels...is this logical or what are the real numbers going to be like?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say you will probably see about 400-420 RWHP when its all said & done. I see you got a 2000, do you already have a LS6 intake as well?? If not your gonna want to pick one up to help the air comin in.

Also detune your Predator hand held tune. You'll need a full dyno tune after the installs. If you sell it now you can probably make half the money toward your dyno tune.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:08 PM
Launching!

about 100 is a good estimate
Old 05-14-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

A pulley, ported TB, and LS6 intake would help substantially.

Also, the Flowmaster Catback is going to be a large restriction.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Louie83
A pulley, ported TB, and LS6 intake would help substantially.

Also, the Flowmaster Catback is going to be a large restriction.

what do you mean the flowmaster will be a large restriction?....what do you suggest, True Duals?...i cant go w/ true duals i dont think cause of the roads around here will most likesly have em ripped off
Old 05-14-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

will i be able to run it w/out the dyno tune or is it a necessity?
Old 05-14-2007, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

You definetly need a tune. It might run, but its not gonna run right. If you wanna keep a cat-back look at the Hooker. Heck all I did was get the $80 replacement muffler & put it in. It sounds great & is quiet enough to hear yourself think. The Flowmaster stuff sounds good, but their cat-back muffler is one of the most choked out mufflers on the market. Hooker on the other hand is one of the top flowing cat-back mufflers available.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1BadTA13
what do you mean the flowmaster will be a large restriction?....what do you suggest, True Duals?...i cant go w/ true duals i dont think cause of the roads around here will most likesly have em ripped off
Easiest thing to do is just buy a cutout. Cheap and flows better than any catback, you can open/close it as you wish.

It will run just fine w/out the tune, but you are leaving a good amount of power on the table (15-30rw depending on the tuner).
Old 05-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
You definetly need a tune. It might run, but its not gonna run right. If you wanna keep a cat-back look at the Hooker. Heck all I did was get the $80 replacement muffler & put it in. It sounds great & is quiet enough to hear yourself think. The Flowmaster stuff sounds good, but their cat-back muffler is one of the most choked out mufflers on the market. Hooker on the other hand is one of the top flowing cat-back mufflers available.
Hooker flows decent but it's not one of the top flowing mufflers.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:32 PM
12 Second Club

Both your posts are incorrect.

There is a member on here named Jeremiah who had a Procharged Camaro puttin out 530 RWHP & he lost Hp/Tq thru a open cutout vs a Hooker muffler. As far as single in/dual out mufflers to fit exactly in place of the stock muffler, it is one of the top mufflers available.

And his car will NOT run perfectly fine without a tune on a heads/cam package install. It'll be rich as **** & probably ruin his O2's. He will be fine driving it short distances & to the tuner, but I highly advise against just driving it without a proper tune.

If your gonna give advice, give correct & good advice. Not false information. Telling someone a tune is not required after mods such as these is very bad information.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:21 PM
Banned

Both your posts are incorrect.

There is a member on here named Jeremiah who had a Procharged Camaro puttin out 530 RWHP & he lost Hp/Tq thru a open cutout vs a Hooker muffler. As far as single in/dual out mufflers to fit exactly in place of the stock muffler, it is one of the top mufflers available.

And his car will NOT run perfectly fine without a tune on a heads/cam package install. It'll be rich as **** & probably ruin his O2's. He will be fine driving it short distances & to the tuner, but I highly advise against just driving it without a proper tune.

If your gonna give advice, give correct & good advice. Not false information. Telling someone a tune is not required after mods such as these is very bad information.
His car will be PERFECTLY driveable WITHOUT a tune, like I said he will leave power on the table. But it is not "required" in the least bit with the cam he chose.

A FI setup is a different animal. If this is a N/A or N2O car I know several dozen cars with every catback imaginable that have a cutout on the car (or dual cutouts for the vettes) for the track or when they streetrace. My old car picked up 11rwhp 14rwtq over a slp dual/dual when it was cam only.

You need to do a little research Big_Mike and you will have answered your own questions. I only give out advice when I know it to be fact, I will bet you any amount of money that a cutout will make more power over ANY CATBACK on the market if it's a N/A or N2O setup. Please PM me if you would like to accept.

BTW-I recently registered this new name kind of as a joke, I registered here the first day this site was created.

Last edited by Deerhunter-Z28; 05-14-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get you a Hooker catback. There was only like 5-7 hp difference between cutout open and closed. Also its nice to get quiet when you need to. I've been offered free true duels and turned them down. Get a tune ! A TSP mail order tune would get you by but you'll be better off with a dyno tune. And you should expect a big *** smile on your face when you kick it and thats better than 100 hp.

Last edited by NC98Z; 05-14-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DeerHunter_Z28
His car will be PERFECTLY driveable WITHOUT a tune, like I said he will leave power on the table. But it is not "required" in the least bit with the cam he chose.

A FI setup is a different animal. If this is a N/A or N2O car I know several dozen cars with every catback imaginable that have a cutout on the car (or dual cutouts for the vettes) for the track or when they streetrace. My old car picked up 11rwhp 14rwtq over a slp dual/dual when it was cam only.

You need to do a little research Big_Mike and you will have answered your own questions.
I have done plenty of research on here & helped plenty of people too. So don't go thinkin your all high & mighty. Your advice is not good advice. Your advising someone to install a Heads & Cam package & not get a tune. Sayin it will drive perfectly fine.

You're kookoo. Maybe with a carb set-up where you can adjust it under the hood to get it runnin right, but not a LS1. If you install that without a tune your not only leaving power on the table, your PCM is not lettin the car run as it should. You'll use WAY too much gas & be rich as ****. This will kill the O2's in no time. Then unless you get O2 sims your car really isn't gonna run right. The car will run like **** compared to after gettin a tune & having the fuel trims & idle corrected.

And yes, everyone knows a N/A set-up is different than a FI set-up, but for the car to run right after major mods its REQUIRED to get a tune. If you don't get one & just drive it around runnin like ****, your stupid as hell. Your the only damn persona on here I have ever seen try to say a tune is not required after a H/C install. Doesn't that tell ya something?? YOUR WRONG!!

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 05-15-2007 at 08:10 AM. Reason: cursing not allowed
Old 05-15-2007, 08:11 AM
Banned

I have done plenty of research on here & helped plenty of people too. So don't go thinkin your all high & mighty. Your advice is not good advice. Your advising someone to install a Heads & Cam package & not get a tune. Sayin it will drive perfectly fine.

Your ****** nuts. Maybe with a carb set-up where you can adjust it under the hood to get it runnin right, but not a LS1. If you install that without a tune your not only leaving power on the table, your PCM is not lettin the car run as it should. You'll use WAY too much gas & be rich as ****. This will kill the O2's in no time. Then unless you get O2 sims your car really isn't gonna run right. The car will run like **** compared to after gettin a tune & having the fuel trims & idle corrected.

And yes, everyone knows a N/A set-up is different than a FI set-up, but for the car to run right after major mods its REQUIRED to get a tune. If you don't get one & just drive it around runnin like ****, your stupid as hell. Your the only damn persona on here I have ever seen try to say a tune is not required after a H/C install. Doesn't that tell ya something?? YOUR WRONG!!
He simply asked if the tune is a necessity, and with his setup it is NOT a necessity. His car will run fine without a tune, it will not run like ****. Like I said, he's leaving a lot of power on the table, but to say he absolutely needs a tune WITH HIS SETUP is retarted. The PCM will make adjustments to the new changes, just not as drastic as if he got it tuned of course. So to reitirate his car will not run like **** without a tune, but he is leaving a lot of power on the table.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Take a chill pill guys.

Tuning on a head cam setup is mandatory. Serious damage to motor can happen from no tune.
> Lean at WOT and detonation
> Rich at low rpm and washing cylinders
> Wasting cats (if on)
> Ruining O2s

Now, will the motor fire up and run, yes. Will it drive, yes (but that should only be done to go strait to the tuner and not over 4000rpm)

About the cutout, it depends on setup, on my old Stealth 224 setup I saw no gain and loss of trq on others some gains from 5rwhp >15rwhp. That is not concrete.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:21 AM
12 Second Club

Thank you PREDATOR, finally someone who everyone knows & trust to get serious advice from chimes in.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:40 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Brian @ Texas Speed & Performance's Avatar

You definitely want to get the setup tuned once the parts go on. Your car won't be "ideal" to drive(bucking, surging, idle problems, etc.) and you'll be leaving power on the table without it but most important, like Predator posted, you don't want to hurt anything after you just spent money to have new parts installed.

As for the catback, I like the Hooker. On my setup, I only lost 5RW from running open cutout to running through the Hooker catback. If you don't want to swap catbacks, just throw a cutout on there before the Flowmaster.

Brian
(806) 866-0734

Last edited by Brian @ Texas Speed & Performance; 05-15-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

alright guys....sorry to start a pissin fight....but im gonna definately get it tuned once everything goes on.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Take a chill pill guys.

Tuning on a head cam setup is mandatory. Serious damage to motor can happen from no tune.
> Lean at WOT and detonation
> Rich at low rpm and washing cylinders
> Wasting cats (if on)
> Ruining O2s

Now, will the motor fire up and run, yes. Will it drive, yes (but that should only be done to go strait to the tuner and not over 4000rpm)

About the cutout, it depends on setup, on my old Stealth 224 setup I saw no gain and loss of trq on others some gains from 5rwhp >15rwhp. That is not concrete.
PRED is right along with other people........I like drama like the next guy but telling someone thats doin multiple internal mods to not get a tune is like telling someone thats going to get a set of tires to not have them balanced; sure they will roll down the road, hold air and ride OK but the "driveability" of the tires will suck compared to being balanced in the first place. A cut out works just fine and does make more power but to most people its very loud in the car while cruising around lookin for redlight to redlight "aggressive negociations" so a good catback or TDs is the way to go for most.....but a cut out is cheap and effective.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:07 AM
12 Second Club

You didn't start it so no worries. I just get tired of people givin out false information & then tryin to act like they have been around forever & know everything. Especially when they are completely wrong. We are all here to learn & help others. There are always new members on here who are still learning about these cars & if they take the wrong persons incorrect info about stuff, they could destroy their motor.

Hence what would have happened if you had taken the above advice about not needing a tune after H/C install. Thats why I spoke up about it bein incorrect info.