Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

aftermarket tach worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket tach worth it?

I am definitaly getting a shift light, and I know that our tachs are a little slow, so would it be worth it to get an aftermarket tachometer? I am asking because of my current cam install/engine build, and I want my tach dead on. I don't want to be overrevving or revving way past my peak power. I just want the tach dead on.

Where do you wire the tach into?

Is it worth it?
Old 05-14-2007, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

Def worth it....the stock tach is a POS. The stocker is slow, inaccurate, and might not go high enough depending on what cam you go with.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

deff recomend atleast a shift light, if not both. my buddies stock tach reads a few 100 rpm low
Old 05-14-2007, 11:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would just get a shift light and leave it at that. Under part throttle the factory tach is fine. It's only at WOT will the factory tach lag behind, in which when you near redline your shift light will chime right in.

EDIT: You would wire your tach/shift light into Pin #10 which is a WHITE WIRE on the RED connector.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....33&postcount=7
Old 05-15-2007, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have a shift light, you defeat the point of the aftermarket tach, and vice versa. Pick one (probably the shift light as it takes up less space and can be hidden rather than an obtuse looking tach on your dash).
Old 05-15-2007, 07:42 AM
TECH Resident

i have a autometer monster 5''tach w/ shiftlight, im happy with it, but if i would have known about the other shiftlights that dont require a tach i prolly would've went that route. but then again after i got my cam i saw how lazy the stocker was.

so say that i downshift, just to mess around, but i dont wanna take it to redline, if i was to look at my stocker i would redline taking it to 6k(according to the stocker, but i was really at 6.4k according to my autometer) so i guess its a choice thats up to u.

some people tell me that its : others tell me its a nice touch, but it dont matter cause im the one that has to drive it and live w/ it everyday, i just tell them
Old 05-16-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

I think im just gonna go with the shift light, I hate the look of a tach on the dash. I would love to do it if I made a custom guage cluster.

Shift light it is.

Quick Reply: aftermarket tach worth it?